Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

12-stringers: wazzup?

fet

I'm having a lot of fun with a new Tacoma acoustic 12-string. Jazz licks sound weird, open chords sound like God... any 12-stringers out there with comments, experiences, ideas re this cool instrument? Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Fet

I am a total fan of the old 12's. I have two currently a Takomine and an old Eko that I did my first ever public performance with, more years ago than I care to remember!!! They are just so rich, warm and cuddly. I have replaced many a keyboard pad with mine on an open tuning and a lot of big fat chords, add a touch of magic in the engineering department and the worlds ya oyster!!!! Just brilliant.....

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

Glad to hear there are some fellow 12 stringers out there. I don't see many bands out there using them anymore...too bad. I have always thought they sounded awesome.

When I was 9, I asked mom and dad for nothing other then a 12 string for Christmas. Well they came through with a Lotus 12 string. While it's certainly not a "top shelf" guitar, it has kept me happy for many years. With new Martin Bronzes on it, the sound is still killer. As a matter of fact, I just dropped it off at the shop to have new machine heads put on. I figure after almost twenty years of playing it, I can put something back into it. Someday I would like to get a new quality 12 string, but can't afford to yet. Til then I'll keep luggin' around old faithful. (side note: anyone know where to get a good inexpensive hard case for a 12 string? I haven't done much looking, but thought you guys might be able to save me some time)

I really want to incorporate the "12" into my band. Whenever I've broken it out for an audience in the past, I've gotten great response. It's a shame...it's almost like the "bearded lady" in that you don't see them very often.

BTW this guitar was instrumental (pun intended) in my early learning. Trying to learn barre chords on this thing damn near killed me, but after having gone through that I am a much better player. Now, I do most of my practicing (scales, chords, exercises) on the 12. When I go back to my Strat plus or Ovation, it's that much better.

What are some of your favorite "12 string" songs to play? Or who are some of your favorite "12 string" playing artists?

Any of you ever seen Leo Kotke live? If not, make a point to. You won't be sorry....

This message has been edited by greed2000 on 02-21-2001 at 09:53 AM

Re: greed2000's query: Norwegian Wood in

DADGAD sound great on a 12-string. Lots of

old 60's folk groups used 'em. (Seekers, etc.)

Re: the hardshell case: SKB makes one for the

acoustic 12; check w/ Samash,GuitarCenter or

Sweetwater, they probably have in stock.

Regards, and keep tuning. Bob Wood.

Well I have a Rick electric 12-string (a '65 420 in case anyone cares) and I do love it. And Leo Kottke was an early influence, I agree he's awesome. Never did own an acoustic 12, but I just happened to buy one for my SISTER for her birthday last year. The fact that my sister lives at my house and that if I happened to need an acoustic 12 for anything, I could "borrow" it from her, did not enter into my gift buying decision at all! Oh, no! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif It is a cheap Alvarez but it sounds surprisingly good!

Aside from Kottke, Roger McGuinn is one of my favorite 12-string players of course, but that's like, DUH. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif He has a video out on his 12-string technique, ya know. I'm also NUTS about some of the 12 string parts that Jimmy Page has done. Really, when it comes to 12-string it seems like the simplest parts are the best. The minute you start to overplay them they lose their specialness. If you ever get bored with playing an open D or G chord, just pick up a 12 string and play it on that. It's like the first time you ever played that chord.

I like to have a couple of songs in the set that use the 12. It definitely generates a lot of audience enthusiasm. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

--Lee

I just bought a 2001 Taylor Hawaiian Koa 12-string. It is visually striking and has awarm shimmer to it. The neck is slender which makes it a pleasure to play. The sound is quite lush.

>>It is a cheap Alvarez but it sounds surprisingly good!

I happen to love cheap Alvarezes for that very reason. I used to have an acoustic Alvarez-Yairi doubleneck six and twelve (this was a handmade one, though, not the cheaper mass-produced models). I could kick meself in the arse for selling it...

Ted

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Quote:

posted by Lee Flier

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm also NUTS about some of the 12 string parts that Jimmy Page has done. Really, when it comes to 12-string it seems like the simplest parts are the best. The minute you start to overplay them they lose their specialness. If you ever get bored with playing an open D or G chord, just pick up a 12 string and play it on that. It's like the first time you ever played that chord.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lee

As ever you have hit the nail square on the head!!!! The 12 string is all about simple chords with added harmonics..... Open chords lushness and yep I get to play mine live on a couple of numbers!!! I'd like to make it more but then maybe the impact would go some.... Cool as f****k ballad opening stuff...... Man I love it to bits.

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

ps. Jimmy Page did do some outstanding stuff on a 12 but then again he was outstanding wasn't he?

...remember there is absolutely no point in talking about someone behind their back unless they get to hear about it...

>>ps. Jimmy Page did do some outstanding stuff on a 12 but then again he was outstanding wasn't he?<<

What's all this "was" shit? He's not dead yet is he? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif Did you see or hear the recording of the tour he and Plant did a few years ago? DAMN. Many of the new arrangements of Zep songs blew away the originals. That was about the last thing I expected!

--Lee

Quote:

Posted by Lee Flier

What's all this "was" shit? He's not dead yet is he?

Lee,

I'm sorry dear heart, of course he's not dead I'd just had one hell of a day in the studio.( hangs head and takes another three fingers).... So I guess the weddings off huh?

Simon http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Man would I love to hear that Taylor Koa 12-string. I have been playing a lot of Taylors lately (hope to buy a 6 string soon). Anyway, I've not found a Taylor 12 string in the store to mess with. I bet it is just awesome.

Jimmy Page is difinitely one of my favorite 12 string players. When I was a kid, I spent months on "Over The Hills and Far Away" tryin to get it to come off cleanly. I eventually got it. It's one thing to hear it on 6 string, but much more enjoyable on a 12.

greed

This message has been edited by greed2000 on 02-27-2001 at 08:58 AM

This message has been edited by greed2000 on 02-27-2001 at 08:59 AM

I got one of the Danelectro 12 string electrics this year, and it's wonderful. Plays and sounds great -- and with the split bridge (each string intonates separately), you can play chords at the 12th fret, and they're in tune...

Until I got one, I didn't realize just how many songs have 12 string on them.

Archived