Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best For The Money Pedal Steel Guitar?

DBENNVAhotmail.com

Peeps,

I asked in an earlier thread about the top pedal steel guitar for recording sessions

used in Nashville. Now I have another question. What pedal steel guitar is the best for the money for session work? I want what is in the steel guitar arena what the Seagull/S12+ is to 12 string acoustic guitars, & what the Fender/Stratocaster American Standard is to 6 string electric guitars. Please respond as soon as possible peeps, a purchase may be in the works so the feedback is important.

Quantum! C/O

DBENNVA@hotmail.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pedal steels are expensive. The main reason is it is a very limited market and they are hand-made. In the '8Os and early 9Os pedal steel fell out of favor in Nashville. A lot of companies when out of business like Sho-Bud. A double neck with 1O strings is the standard with 8 floor pedals and 4 or 5 knee levers. Most steels run $3OOO-4OOO new. Your best bet is to find a good used one.

I would go with Emmons or Sho-Bud. You can usually find a used one for $12OO to 19OO.

Buddy

Whatever you do, DON'T buy a "student" guitar. These can only be set up one way...and the tuning stability is atrocious.

If you have absolutely no interest in jazz or western swing, you don't need the doubleneck. Go with a single 10, with 3 floors and at least 2 knees(4 would be better). As stated, Emmons and Sho-Bud have "the tone"...MSA guitars are very tuning stable, but are kind of "wooly" sounding, although pickups can be replaced.

There are a lot of these guitars from the late 60's and early 70's that would be great players....you just have to find them. The pedal steel is essentially a mechanical beast, and any machinist can figure out how to make it work, ie, lubrication and adjustment. In that regard, the old Emmons are kind of a pain, as they have a "push-pull" changing system, while everything else uses an "all pull". Your best bet is to find an experienced player to give you a hand...you can also call Scotty's Music in St. Louis...there are also steel guitar sites on the net, and several organizations around the country.

Archived