Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Re: Blues pedal

boozeguitarhotmail.com

Find and try out a V-twin by Mesa Boogie...3 channels, all tube, and it will handle any sound you could want...they rule. If you just want a simple overdrive, the Daddy-O by Danelectro is a great one - good eq and a milder flavor. It all depends on the particular tone you are after I suppose.

Personally, I like that "I drank too much whiskey and what-the-hell-am-I-doing-lying-here-in the-front-yard?" sort of blues...which is to say, a nastier sort. On that particular tone quest, I like a fuzz instead of a distortion box. One of the most versatile (and expensive) pedals I ever had the pleasure of giggin with was my trusty Boss Hyper Fuzz...but I'm not sure they even make those anymore. Coincidentally, another fuzz I really like which not only sounds good, but has mojo built right into it's name, is the VooDoo Labs Superfuzz.

But...before you go and spend some bucks on a new toy, consider other good ways to change your tone without spending any money:

Changing your guitar's action.

Changing what kind of pick you use.

Changing the angle you hold your pick.

A favorite...adjust the height of your pickups.

Another favorite...if you have an open back combo, mic it in back - it gives you a much thicker, bluesier sound.

This will cost a few bucks, more if you don't know how to do your own setup...but try changing string size and adjusting your guitar. You'd be surprised at the tone change you can get from switching from a standard set of nickel .10's to say...a light-heavy bronze set (.10 or .11-.52).

Until you've explored your guitar completely, and what you can do with your hands, I'd not even consider adding a pedal. You might find all kinds of new tones from your trusty rig (and it sounds like a nice one at that) just by exploring your instrument. It's completely possible to tweak your axe and make it sound completely different tonally, without doing more than springing for new strings...try it. It's also a heck of a lot of fun experimenting!

And as one of the other posts says, it's all in the hands in the end anyway. Besides, the less there is between your guitar and your amp, the better you'll sound, and the better you'll play.

Just my two cents worth...

Sean

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived