Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Aging Guitars

What is the deal with people wanting to buy new guitars that have been "aged"? I would want to buy the original guitar, or just simply, age it myself with my playing, sweet, tears, and pop (I don't drink beer). What do you guys think?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a word... Fashion.

I worked for a time in a small music store that sold Gibson products. A local "guitar hero" came in one day... and bought two Les Pauls from me... didn't play either one...

When I asked him why he didn't want to play them he said, "All I care is they look right with my clothes".

OK...

...isn't it all in the hands anyway?

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

to me its the most despicable idea ever to be foisted on the guitar buying public.now i know they test market everything they make to sell these days to make sure there is money to be made(from idiots?) and i'm sure(?) there is a market for such dreck but does anyone know who the demographic that was intended for this brain dead idea. is it the youngster who exclaims "i got this real old guitar that plays real good for real cheap" or is it the older cat who says he's had the guitar forever and will never part w/ it. i just dont know and probably wont want to.
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

LOL... obviously people don't want to work at ANYTHING anymore, they just want to LOOK like they did. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Kinda like when those jeans companies pre-rip holes in the jeans, wash them in acid to make them look "worn in", and double the price for their trouble.

If people wanna pay for that and think it makes them look cool, oh well, they're the ones that have to live with themselves. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

--Lee

One story was that Fender put up a few Relics at Namm after Keith Richards threw some Jack Daniels bottles at his to improve their looks. Fender strongly denies this, apparantly after some calls by the Stones reps. But there was a lot of request for Relics after that Namm show.

Fender's Custom Shop used to send their Relics out-of-state for "reclicsizing."

I suspect this was a way around California's clean air rules but the result was a pure nitrocellulous paint job done out-of-state.

That stoped about two years ago and I was lucky enough to get one of the last nitro Relics, a one off 60's Tele painted Fiesta Red.

Today the Relics are painted in house at Fender in Corona and it is obvious to me that there is a significant amount of poly in the paint because it is thick and has a tacky (i.e. wet) look to it.

Nitro is what Fender used until about 1970 and is one of the Voodoo aspects of the 50's and 60's Fender guitars.

Of course some people may not think the paint job is very important. What do you think? I think a guitar with no paint doesn't sound very good.

Poly can be fine if it is painted on about 12 thin coats and sanded down between each one, which is what John Suhr tells me he does to the guitars he builds. Don't bet that a production guitar gets this kind of treatment though.

Archived