Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mexican Fenders

Bassically

What do you people honestly think about Mexican P-Basses and Strats? I have a '92 Mex P-Bass and it's not much better than the POS I had before. I've done many gigs with it but I wish I had invested that $225 on something better....oh well, it gets the job done.
Disclaimer: The above comments were posted by a bass player and therefore should be ignored as usual.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not really qualified to comment here, as I don't own one, but I will ask...what exactly about the bass is deficient? Like, pretend you're writing a review for a magazine. Do you have access to an American-made counterpart to compare it to? How to the overall workmanship, tone, playability, electronics, etc. compare? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I have a '99 Standard (Mexican) P-bass and I'm fairly content with it. I got a great deal on a pair of Duncan Antiquity P-bass pickups ($25 ea.), and they improved the tone considerably. I found the original pickups to be harsher than the Duncan's. But for around $400 I've got a great sounding bass now...

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Well the "Mex" are getting better!!!

I remember that Mexican Fenders were crappy few years ago. Now playability improved although I'm not satisfied with the sound (it can be improved by changing the pickups). I also noticed that some Fender models are made exclusively in Mexico (Richie Sambora Floyd Rose Strat)... But the most interesting thing is that I played on two Mexican Standard Strats. The first one was really crappy (sound + playability really sucked). The second one was, to my surprise, great. It had great playability and good sound (although the action was way low)... So my guess is that it depends on a day... If worker/assembler had good day the guitar was good and if not...

I have found some of the Mexican Strats to be great guitars - sometimes better than some of the U.S. models. They're easy to soup up with different pickups or bridge saddles (like the Graph-Tec saddles) or tuners, if you want to fine-tune the guitar to your personal taste. In addition, they often cost a lot less than some of the U.S. guitars. The quality has definitely improved over the years. In my opinion, they're a great deal for the price. If you're interested in picking one up, I'd suggest playing a few of the same model and picking out the one you like best. As with all guitars, some can sound and feel better than others. I think you'll always find a bit of variation between all guitars of the same model, regardless of the brand and price. Amps and effects tend to be more consistent because their sound is based more on the electronic components. All wood can vary in sound, and in turn, every guitar will have its own inherent characteristics. It's just a matter of finding the one that best matches your personal taste.

Lisa

Without a doubt, get the Antiquity Pick ups. Frankly I would change the pickups on just about any Fender these days (and I still love Fender guitars).

I got a Tele relic from the Custom Shop and was not happy with the harshness of the 9.43k ohm bridge pickup. I got some of John Suhr's installed by the man himself and have been flying ever since. I got one of the last nitro-painted bodies before they started doing them in house.

I put a set of John Suhr's V60's in my '72 Strat and it sound more like a vintage guitar.

John says he uses a different formula Alinco 5 magnet that the big production facilities won't touch. I found it provides a warmer, sweeter sound with a touch of compression. Mmmm, tastes like vintage. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

i'm a big fan of guitars that aren't made in the U.S. mainly because dealers think just cause they're made here that they can charge more than what they're worth and consumers are led to believe that if they're made in the U.S. that they're superior instruments. NOT TRUE!!!!

any one who doesn't believe me go to a few dealers and try them out. the salesperson will immediately throw out the line that american guitars are better so he can get more money out of you. i don't fall for this crap anymore. i use to,but not now. quality of foreign made guitars have greatly improved in the past few years.

just today i was comparing a foreign-made les paul to the gibsons that my local dealers had and i can afford either one i want. i chose the epiphone cause the finish was ten times prettier with no extra glue,bad action, or other flaws that i found on the gibsons. i'll replace the pickups and tuners of course,and i'll still come out a couple thousand dollars ahead.

CONSUMERS,WAKE UP!!! stop falling for the hype!!!

however,if a gibson or american fender is what your heart desires,be my guest. everyone is entitled to their own opinion. i'll just keep on playing my epi's.

................bluedawg

I don't have a Mex but I do have a Japanese made Strat 60's reissue and it's great. I did change the tuners, first and second string tuners could move half a revolution before string started moving. Needless to say had some tuning problems until I put locking tuners on it.

I also put a graphite saddle and nut on it but this was personal preferance not really a fault in original. The pickups sound great too, I've thought of replacing them a couple of times but every tech I've mentioned it to said to leave the originals in it cause they sound great already.

Not a bad deal for the money, though I still lust after a vintage Strat.

It appears Mex fenders have improved since '92. I hope so, since the price has also increased drastically as per the Fender website.

However, the problems/complaints I have with my '92 Mexican P-Bass are as follows (you asked): 1) The tuners are pulling out of the head due to normal string tension. 2) The stock pots lasted at most two years. 3) The bridge is a stamped steel POS. 4) The action cannot be lowered enough w/o getting fret rings.

So why did I buy it? Answer: the Fender name and the low price. Like I said, it gets the job done. At least it does play better than a Gibson T-bird.

Disclaimer: The above comments were posted by a bass player and therefore should be ignored as usual.

The action is just way too high for me. Anyway, it was just a friendly jab at Gibson players. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

This message has been edited by Bassically on 12-23-2000 at 12:21 AM

The last 2 guitars I bought and still use are a 68 Tele and a G&L,these days when I walk into the local Guitar Center I can't believe how bad all the Fenders (US,MEX,JAPANEESE,whatever)feel.The next guitar I buy will be custom no doubt so I can choose the wood,neck dimensions ect.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

• 1 month later...

I have also played a few of the Mexi Strats lately.

I though the fret finishing was better than some of the American Reissue stuff. I have found this to be a reoccurring problem for Fender.

For 4-5 bills you really can't go wrong. Just change out the pick ups to your liking (for me Van Zandts) put some new saddles on there like Lisa said and you have a pretty nice strat.

BK

<<< If worker/assembler had good day the guitar was good and if not... >>>

This is no joke. I have a friend who is as autoworker. He told me never buy a car made on Monday or Friday and that the date of when it is made is on one of the forms that come with the car. You can ask the dealer as to when the car was made.

Buddy

A buddy of mine has a Mexi P-Bass and I was suprised, considering what he payed for it. Have also played Mexi Strats and have been satisfied each time. THe biggest problem for me is 'finding' one, since I play lefty.

Anyone seen any lefty Mexi Tele's?

Coco Montoya's latest bass player uses a Japanese Fender and they are supposed to be the cheapest of all the Fenders and it's sounds great. He has some kool custom 5 string that he hardly uses, but that sucker can make that el cheapo Fender sing like very few guys can. Damn, he's good.

I have a Mex Tele- that 69 thinline reissue- and I love it. I haven't touched it right out of the box. I've had it for over a year and haven't had any trouble with it at all. Everyone who has played it-and that includes some pretty well known guitar aces- love it and can't believe that it's a stock chihuaha. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I have a Mexican 50's reissue Strat and I love it. My friend has the same one , color and all that's a USA and I can't tell any difference, the Mexican one actually seems to have more of a 50's look and feel than the USA one. I don't see spending the extra money on the USA Strats, a person could buy a Mex Tele and Strat for the price of one USA made Strat, I prefer to go that route and have more sonic possibilities. I like the quality of the Mexican made Fenders, I hope they will keep up the good work.

My 2 cents..

Peace

A caution about (at least some) Mex Strats. The string spacing can be non-Fender standard, so if you're looking to upgrade the pickups, the strings won't be centered over the pole pieces. I discovered this when I was installing some Kinman replacements.

Second caution - the controls in my Mex strat were 500K instead of the standard 250K pots. If you install replacement pickups and you have a brittle high end, that's likely the cause.

My Mex strat is one of the early ones, and may not represent what's done now.

Originally posted by traingod:

My Mex strat is one of the early ones, and may not represent what's done now.

The early ones were the best: nice sealed tuners, good wood, vintage bridge, decent frets, overall decent craftsmanship. I don't know if they're as good a value now as they used to be.

They're on crack at Fender. They change the product line every year, make 2,000 variants of the same guitar, refuse to put large frets in even their "metal" guitars, and their quality control is completely random. Picking a good Fender is something of a skill.

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

>>>They're on crack at Fender. They change the product line every year, make 2,000 variants of the same guitar, refuse to put large frets in even their "metal" guitars, and their quality control is completely random. Picking a good Fender is something of a skill.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No argument here. But that's kinda half the fun of it . When you get "THE ONE" it makes it that much more special..

BTW , I thought they were on Crystal Meth. You would probably have to be up for days at a time to come up with 2,000 variants of the same guitar. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Originally posted by KHAN:

Originally posted by Chip McDonald:

their "metal" guitars, and their quality control is completely random. Picking a good Fender is something of a skill.

I'm still waiting for them to do a "Collector-caster", a real simple concept that would sell tons to doctors and lawyers and such: a relict-Strat with a "0001" serial.... That way everyone can buy "the first Strat".

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived