Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Santa came early

John Worthington

It wasn't meant to be a Christmas present, but after 5 months of waiting, I finally got my new Chapman Stick.

I had ordered a new 12-string Grand with active electronics and the stick modified Roland GK-2 pickup on the melody side. Tarara wood and it's beautiful.

I had borrowed a friends old stick to start practicing with. I can't believe how much better the new one feels and plays. The old one needs a setup bad.

Anyway, I'm happy, or at least I will be when I get better at playing it http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

jw

Affiliations: Jambé

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Stratman:

What the hell is a Chapman Stick anyway?????????????

Check out www.stick.com. It has 12 strings, with the highest 6 tuned in descending 4ths. The bass side goes up in 5ths. You play it with both hands at the same time by tapping. You can play bass and guitar lines at the same time. Tony Levin has played one for years.

jw

yeah! i have seen them before. and i have a lot of questions. i guess it should sound like a guitar, but without the picking, wich is the 50% of the guitar sound. how is the feel of the instrument? how difficult is to get used to it? can you do slides, bends and that sort of things?? how good is the midi pickup in the instrument??

Can you talk more about it??

Thanks

Originally posted by caiv:

yeah! i have seen them before. and i have a lot of questions. i guess it should sound like a guitar, but without the picking, wich is the 50% of the guitar sound. how is the feel of the instrument? how difficult is to get used to it? can you do slides, bends and that sort of things?? how good is the midi pickup in the instrument??

Can you talk more about it??

Thanks

It's pretty hard to get used to. On the guitar, both hands work together to produce a note. On the stick, each hand is playing independently, like a keyboard.

The bass strings are strung backwards from a bass which also causes some mental glitches.

You can slide and bend with ease. The MIDI pickup is the standard Roland GK-2, adapted for the string spacing. I had heard that it didn't track the bass very vell, so I only had it put on the 6 melody strings. Seems to track very fast. A lot of Stick players are starting to experiment with the VG-88. Should be interesting. I'll have to track one down to try.

jw

Archived