Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Guitar In $500-$1200 Range?

Lisa

You can get a Gibson Les Paul Classic for under $1500 I've seen them go for $1250 new Which is a lot better deal than the Standard model with its chrome hardware.The Classic has all nichel hardware which I think is better than chrome anyway.I'm not crazy about any of gibsons pickups so I'd likely change them with whatever gibson I would buy.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Y'all,

I'd vote for the Musicman Stingray as the best new bass in that range - should be around $1100 or so. Musicman's quality and playability is very consistent from bass to bass, and I can get a good sound for most styles with mine.

The new Fenders are also pretty good, although some might want to upgrade the pickups (which would still be under $1200 total).

Rob Miller

Philadelphia, PA www.bklounge.net

Rob Miller

Philadelphia, PA

www.JimmyRipp.com

Yo Rob, whassup. I'm gonna check ya @Dock Street this Friday if I'm on that side of town.

>>I'd say a Fender Stratocaster American Standard in the 6 String Category.<<

I have one of those ('94, the 40th anniversary issue) and it's fly. Black finish, rosewood fingerboard, all stock parts & pickups. Paid about $500.

Wish list: Gibson Firebird, white finish.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Peeps,

I've got to add to my previous post up here.

For straight 6 string electic I'd suggest you all check out the Fender/Deluxe Nashville Telecaster.

For 6 string acoustic I say a Takamine/F-360-S is tight as a Dreadnought.

In the 12 string arena you should check out the Seagull/S12+ which I think is in this price range.

Quantum! C/O

DBENNVA@hotmail.com

Originally posted by Lisa:

Hello everyone! As always, I'm very interested in hearing your opinions. Here's a question for you: What do all you guys and girls consider to be the best new guitar(s) available in the $500-$1200 price range? Also, please explain why you consider it among the best as far as features, construction and value. Thanks!!!

Lisa

That's a wide price range - I could go nuts with that:

My Tele Reissue is wonderful - I've had it awhile but I think they can still be had for under $1k.

Fender Strat Am Deluxe Rosewood with Noiseless and Humbucker - very cool - little over $1K.

Gibson SG Standard - I picked up a new one for $900 that plays just as well as a 60's model my brother has.

Guild - forget the Gretch - Guild is made in America and beatifully finished. Some might start bumping the top of the price range though - my Starfire V which is beautiful was $1299.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

The Wendler "electroCoustic"...

Wide tonal pallette...from Jazz to Nashville acoustic.

Lightweight: Less than 5 lbs.

Resonant, rich, harmonically complex.

Gets LOUD without feedback problems.

Simple but effective electronics.

Price range $625 to $850, direct from the designer/builder.

A "trio" of electroCoustics...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1398431&a=10473270&p=38303848

Listen to demo mp3's at: http://www.electrocoustic.com/mp3.html

Curve,

Hey, thanks for checking out my Web Page!

Speaking of T-Birds - there's a beautiful White T-Bird on display at the Hard Rock in Philly. I think that it was owned by Tom Petersson from Cheap Trick if I remember correctly... What's the deal with the new Thunderbirds - are they anything like the oldies? Hopefully Gibson has corrected the weak neck/headstock joint problems of past. Anyway, back to work!

Cheers!

Rob Miller

Rob Miller

Philadelphia, PA

www.JimmyRipp.com

YO ROB - YA GOT ZZ TOP'S "FANDANGO" IN YA HEAD, BABY!!

"Get high, everybody get high! What's the word? Have you heard? It's Thunderbird!"

"Get high - high - high! Way up in the sky! Really takes ya down so smooth, really puts ya in the groove..."

The Firebird was Johnny Winter's hookup on those old lp's like "Johnny Winter And Live" - Highway 61.

I like those free 9-foot pool tables at Dock Street. There's usually some nice laydeez behind the bar...cool spot.

Are you Rob from the Hooters?

This message has been edited by Curve Dominant on 01-17-2001 at 10:11 PM

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Curve,

>>Are you Rob from the Hooters?

No, I'm a journeyman imposter from the 'Burbs. But, I've been to Hooters and I really like their Wings (har-har!).

Apparently, this gig will be at the _new_ dock street over near Reading Terminal... I probably missed the boat but I thought that the only Dock Street in Philly was the one over on 17th and Arch?? Anyway, hope to see you if you're around.

Cheers!

Rob Miller

Rob Miller

Philadelphia, PA

www.JimmyRipp.com

personally, i dont find many guitars worth wasting my money on in that price

range. good quality doesnt even begin to start until $1500+

You're kidding right?

Fender Standard Strat - American or Japanese, you've got to spend some time finding the right one though, try out a bunch. A lot of guys avoid the Japanese made guitars but they really are just as good, you might want to change the pickups regardless.

Fender Tele

Gibson SG or Les Paul Custom.

These are all good guitars.

I also like my Yamaha guitar that I got for $400 dollars. Don't ask me the name of it, I don't know, don't care, I like the way it plays and got it so cheap I never checked.

I have two American Standard Strats, and you just can't beat 'em for price and reliability.Plus ....IT'S A STRAT!!!!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Khan Noonian Singh:

I have two American Standard Strats, and you just can't beat 'em for price and reliability.Plus ....IT'S A STRAT!!!!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Just curious,

Have you made any mods to your Strats (pickups, setup, etc.) or is one just a spare?

- Layne

- Layne

Archived