Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite acoustic strings?

Tedster

While I'm here, I may as well post, what are everyone's favorite acoustic strings? Has anyone tried Elixirs? (I haven't, just wondering, I've heard mixed reviews)... I'm assuming we can talk brand names here as long as we don't get malicious...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the plain old Guilds, I personally think these sound great and their fairly cheap. I really haven't done much experimenting on the accoustic string front though which is something I should get around to doing. I use .009's cause I tend to play accoustic just like I do electric and these accomodate bending pretty well. Funny thing is I use .011's on my electric. Guess I'm backwards, most players I know use heavier gages on their accoustics.

[This message has been edited by Stratamatic@aol.com (edited 11-21-2000).]

Hey guys, I play acoustic exclusively now, because of hearing damge from years of electric playing. hey strat I was a die hard strat player the last 10 or 12 years. diehard paul man before that.

I have used ernie ball acoustic strings from the day I first discovered them a long long time. I have tried all the eclectic acoustic strings with the names I can't pronounce, and the balls are as fair as they come. I use a .10 gauge, used a .09 on electric, but you loose some tone if you get too light on acoustic. my guitar, has no power, so i have to mic it for show nights. anyway, glad to see the guitar board. I will do a lot of listening.

JP

For acoustics, I've tried a variety of brands, but I personally prefer the Martin and D'Addario bronze acoustic strings for my own instruments. As for choosing the best gauge, I think that can vary and there are several factors to take into consideration when choosing the right set. You have to consider things like the strength of the player's fingers, the tonal characteristics of the guitar itself (larger-bodied jumbo guitars can sound much different than a typical dreadnaught or parlour-size guitar), the guitar's setup and playability, and whether you're just strumming for fun or recording. Some players find that for playing straight rhythm parts, heavier strings will usually produce a more formidable tone on tape, as well as for live performance. Another consideration is whether the guitar will be used in standard or open tuning. Sometimes open tunings will affect string tension and you may choose heavier or lighter gauges based on that factor. If you're really trying to find that "ideal set", then try out all the different brands and listen to the inherent characteristics of your guitar. If you can, record the guitar's sound with each of the sets for future reference and make some notes on how they feel to you in terms of playability. Listen to the way the guitar sounds with each set and then decide what works best for you in general, or if different sets will add versatility to your guitar by bringing out different characteristics in a variety of playing environments.

i pretty much use D'Addario across the board [hey how about a sponsorship here to a loyal user]

some salesweasel talked me into DR's once and they sucked. i killed their tone in an hour. D'Addario last the long of any brand i have tried.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

I use mainly Martins, too, but their new packaging kinda torques me off (two strings per package). I understand that they put the E (6th) with the G so you'll change 'em that way, and save extra neck stress when changing, but, geez, what a pain. I'd also recently tried John Pearse. Not too shabby, either.

I'm a wimp I guess, as I prefer a pretty light set, .010 on the E. I even tried an unwound G for a bit, as I like to bend...but went back to the wound.

So, Lisa, are you predominantly an acoustic player, or both? And, a question for the masses, any cool fingerstyle links?

Yeah, I've used Martin Marquis forever. They don't suck. Haven't been subjected to their new packaging yet because last time I bought them I bought like 30 sets in bulk. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

As far as fingerstyle I learned a lot from playing with Leo Kottke and John Fahey records. I'm a huge Richard Thompson fan too, love the tunings he uses.

--Lee

John Fahey, yes! Well, Leo Kottke's definitely a total ass kicker, but I did manage to pick up a bit of "In Christ There is no East or West" off of the John Fahey Anthology "The Legend of Blind Joe Death". Great CD, although it does sound on a couple of tunes like he had a few too many cigarettes with the seeds that go "POP" before he tuned his geetar.

But somehow, on that pattern, I've got it turned around to a more traditional clawhammer. The way he does it sounds more like a banjo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sold on the John Pearse phosphor bronze med. gauge. Nothing lasts longer, or has the depth of the low notes especially when the 6th is tuned down to a D, C or B. Adamas are very good as well. I've put on a set of the Dave Wyre's phosphors this week, they have a slightly thicker 6th string than the Pearse's (58) so far so good, but not as bright as the Pearse's off the start.

Never had any success with D'Addario, Martin, Fender or DR, they all seem to be dead even before they stretch out.

I'm not much of an acoustic player but I got some John Pearse and put them on my made in Japan Hondo guitar and they made it sound pretty legit. Of course, it also helped to put in a bone nut and bridge and have the frets dressed.

I want to use the guitar in home recordings in band tracks. Which strings should I use to get that Eagles strumming accompaniment. I assume light strings and a light pick. But what about string type? What's the difference between bronze and phosphor bronze?

This message has been edited by Sir Bob on 01-23-2001 at 01:25 AM

I'm not much of an acoustic player but I got some John Pearce and put them on my made in Japan Hondo guitar and they made it sound pretty legit. Of course, it also helped to put in a bone nut and bridge and have the frets dressed.

I want to use the guitar in home recordings in band tracks. Which strings should I use to get that Eagles strumming accompaniment. I assume light strings and a light pick. But what about string type? What's the difference between bronze and phosphor bronze?

• 1 month later...
I used to use D'Addario's on all my electrics and John Pearse on my acoustics. I switched to Thomastic-Infelds a while back. I use the Spectrums on my Martin and Taylor steel strings, the Jazz Swing flatwounds on my archtop and the Powerbrights on my PRS and my Tele. The classical strings are good too; great intonation and tone. They cost a bit more than the others but they sound different and I like the difference. I actually became a "dealer" to get the prices down. I have recording studio so I am a legit "business", but I know guys who get them wholesale who are just players.
gizmo

Martin Sp's.

Having said that, I've got a brand new set of some *$24* set of strings D'Addario is making called "EXP 16"s, which appear to be their Elixer knock off.

I lucked into them as a promo item sent to the store I teach at, but I haven't tried them out yet - waiting to get back into an acoustic recording mode in a few weeks, as well as waiting for some op amp chips to come in for my mic preamp.

The packaging is "nice": cardboard sleeve holding a plastic-foldout case, sort of like a CD jewel case... Pretty overkill for strings, and it probably adds to the cost I would think: I don't know anyone who is going to pay that much for a set of strings, but maybe they'll be "A Big Deal"...

They appear to be more lightly coated than Elixers, and the unwound strings seem to have a transparent coating on them as well. Outside of that they appear normal...

http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Martin's new packaging pisses me off, with the two strings per envelope. I know they're trying to save waste and make people change strings keeping even tension on the neck...but it still torques me.

Just had to get that shot in.

I've had excellent luck with D'Addario EJ16 phosphor

bronze/light (012/016/024/032/042/053); nice tone and

not too tough on fingertips. They also make a custom

light set, EJ26 (011/015/022/032/042/052) which still

project nicely, and are even easier to play. My

experience with Elixer lights was OK, but the tone

on the 3 lower strings was a bit "tinny". FYI, am

using Martin 000-28EC w/Martin passive piezo pickup

through Boss AD-3 pre-amp or Taylor 710-CE with

Fishman on-board active blender system. As mentioned

in earlier thread, I wipe strings down before and after

each session with Tone "Finger-ease" lubricant on a

soft cloth, and my strings last for weeks with no

noticeable tone degradation. Warm regards, Bob Wood.

Archived