Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fatar 88-note controller, but which one to buy?

analogholic

Hello,

I´m thinking of getting myself a Fatar 88-note weighted controller, but which one?

NO 1, here is the FEEL of the keyboard and the velocity curves, NO 2 would be the master functions since I have a fat midipatchbay and a sliderbox.

So, SL-880 Pro, SL-990 Pro, SL-990 XP, or the VMK-188 Plus ?

From what I understand the SL-990 Pro has the lightest action of the bunch, and VMK-188 Plus has the latest "Gran Touch" keybed, graded hammer-action.

I want to get as close to Pianotouch as everyone else, but I don´t want it to be TOO heavy. For example, I tried to make friends with the new yamaha CP-33 digitalpiano, and I no matter how much I played it, it didn´t happen. The action was a tad too heavy and slow for me. I could not express myself at all compared to a good grand or upright. Too bad, because I liked the pianosounds and would have bought it in a snap if the action was right.

Of course, action and feel of a board is very personal, but to get a general idea, since I can´t try out the boards where I live.

I tried to email Fatar in Italy twice, but no answer.

So, if anyone have any experiences with these boards, please shed some light. I would be very grateful since I need it for an upcoming gig soon.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the SL-1100, which has the graded action similar to the SL-990. It's my favorite keyboard feel, next to possibly the Yamaha Motif 8. It's one of the "tightest" actions out there, meaning you can play repeated notes fast compared to other controllers. You should really make an effort to play it in person, however.

Archived