Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

To gig or not to gig.

alby

Just a thought...

One of the ways a competent band can increase their market value is to limit supply...

Why play a weekly gig at the same bar low pay? You're just overloading the market. Play any given club once every month or two. If you pack the place, next time you book there you'll have a stronger negotiating point! Plus, people will be more likely to look for you on the marquee if you're not there every week!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sven Golly's and wmp's replies to the concept of soloist performers using backing tracks, sequences, drum machines, etc:

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Originally posted by wmp:

If I'm playing a solo gig and I happen to die in the middle of it, I think the music ought to stop.

Or at least change to a minor key... ;)
Hey dB, these are the two best one-liners of 2006, Please do your magic and get these published in Keyboard next month!!
When most people go to work, they work. When musicians go to work, they play. Which do you prefer?

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

quote:
Originally posted by ProfD:

Gigging is another joy of being a musician. While technology is great, nothing beats the rush of playing with fellow, competent musicians.

:cool:

Agreed. :wave:

The human interaction thing in a band is great, no doubt about it, but sometimes it's pretty cool to successfully entertain a room by yourself and take home a full tip jar, plus wages, plus CD sales, etc. You get bonus points if you are asked to sign autographs. No wait, none of that's cool at all - what was I thinking?

It's funny that soloists have nothing against bands but band players seem to have a small grudge against soloists - possibly envy?

Originally posted by The Pro:

It's funny that soloists have nothing against bands but band players seem to have a small grudge against soloists - possibly envy?

It makes no difference to me how a man earns his living. Vito Corleone said that once and Sollozzo tried to whack him anyway. :)

No grudge. No envy. No ill feelings at all toward those who do the the backing track thing. I'd probably rather listen to you than a crappy band. It's just not for me.

As long as nobody's forcing me to buy Tom's Chinese backing track CDs and change my schtick, we have no problem.

--wmp

Originally posted by The Pro:

Y'know - I just don't feel bad about it... I've seen a lot of guitarists with backing tracks, sequences, drum machines, etc. and nobody seems to think there's anything wrong with it. I'm supposed to feel different because I play keyboards? And I can go out and make a decent living as a soloist, or, I can split that same money amongst 4 or 5 guys because gigging is how I get my human interaction fix... this is a no-brainer folks...

If the gig can afford a band and that's what they want, more power to 'em. If they CAN'T afford a band then it's time to figure out how best to spend the money they do have.

I couldnt have said it any better. :thu:
Dont follow me....i'm lost too....

This is always an interesting discussion. The following are things that MOST club owners have in common:

1. They don't know anything about music, what music will work at their club, and why people come to their club in the first place.

2. Numerous club owners (usually small capacity) have told me they "tried" live entertainment but it didn't work. Acutally they tried ONE live entertainer, didn't advertise, and gave up after 6 weeks. Therefore, "live" entertainment doesn't work. Moron.

3. Many clubs in my area use the same entertainers that have been playing this area for over 20 years. They just keep rotating them. Then they complain that "live music doesn't draw like it use too". Duh!

While it is true that smaller capacity clubs have less money to work with, if they can pack the place with the right act, even more people will come "because the place is packed".

You have to match the type of music to the type of people (age group in particular and type of venue (bar, restaurant, or dance club) Trying to place country music in a hip-hop college age club won't work.

If a club owner tries to get you to play for what you KNOW is way under the average pay for your area, walk away from the deal. Way too many musicians are willing to play for next to nothing to get "exposure". What a crock. :rolleyes:

I try to be flexible, but I won't play for nothing, or let a club owner screw me over while he laughs all the way to the bank.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by wmp:

It warms my heart to get a smile from my esteemed colleagues. Dave, I knew you'd like that one.

Alby, being a band leader is harder than Chinese algebra. I gave up decades ago. I'm in awe of folks who do it well. They all have deep benches. The guy who throws me the most gigs plays guitar and fronts the band. He is the band. He's got a long list of drummers, bass players and keyboard players. He scmoozes at all the jams. He's hands out charts and CDs to players he likes, making it easy for a lot of good players to know his stuff. He can negotiate a gig, get on the phone and have a band confirmed to play it in ten minutes. It's quick and painless for the venue and for the players.

The right number for a gig depends on the gig. I sub on a couple of weekly jams every six weeks or so for $50, food and beer. I typically get $80 to $125 for small bar and restaurant gigs. I recently turned down a few $200 gigs because the door is about $4000 before the bar does another $10,000 to $15,000 or more. I don't like the venue. I've sold enough beer for that a**hole. Parties, weddings, corporate, and such can pay a lot more. A good band leader knows the right number for a given gig.

Ask for more money only if it makes sense. How much is the door and how much beer are you selling? You have to look at everything from the other guy's perspective. Be fair and honest. If your drummer is in demand, he's probably pretty good. You want to play with good players. They're not going to be available for every gig.

Getting a band together and finding a steady gig is a lot of work, but it's only a taste of what it takes to be a good band leader. I don't have what it takes. That's why I'm a ho.

Thanks WMP for your thoughts.

I like what you said about the deep bench, and the drummer being pretty good.

I guess we all get pretty precious about our own gigs and take it pretty personally about getting dumped for another gig.

I did play solo piano for about a year. The money was good but it was a pretty lonely experience. Its not like the waiters would chat to you in the breaks. I used the gig to try to memorise as many songs as I could, but the goal was to play with others.

regards

Alby

Hi guys,

Problem solved. Just got told today that our residency is finished. Had a good run of over 15 months.

The owner is going to revamp the restaurant, and make the meals cheaper and more family orientated rather than having a fine dining restaurant.

So no need to worry about getting drummers.

No need to up the $$'s.

No more nagging from the wife about having to play every Friday night.

I can't think of any down side at the moment.

So signing off - Desperate and gigless

Alby

Archived