Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai ES4 / MP4 clicking black keys

Jazz+

Anybody else notice their black keys intermitantly producing a mechanical clicking sound when played softly?

When playing tmy ES4 softly at home I notice that black keys occasionaly make a clicking noise, almost like the sound of a fingernail softly tapping on the key. When I move any black key right-left it produces the same clicking sound. My students notice it during lessons and it is distracting. IT takes a certain slow gentle touch and tends to happen when the key hasn't been played for a few seconds, then when I imediatly repeat the same key again it doesn't click. It happens mostly when I use a soft slightly indirect angle stroke. I'm worried that if I take it to the service center they will play the keys with a firm touch, which doesn't cause the black keys to click. And their shop will be a noisy environment that masks subtle clicking sounds unnoticeable. It can be heard only in a quiet room when playing with a soft slow gentle touch.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK Problem solved!

The grease on the sharp key's front guide (plastic)pin has slid right down to the bottom of the pin and needs to be wiped back on the pin sides.Probably not viscous enough.Ive posted more detail on the digital piano forum over at www.pianoworld.com

I love my ES4 all over again.

I are an *******(CENSORED) too.

Was the clicking that you have remedied the same as the clicking sound the black keys normaly produce when you wiggle them left to right?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Archived