Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can MIDI Channel hierarchy effect latency?

Jazz+

Could I be experiencing more latency playing my Roland XV-2020 on Channel 8 than if I used Channel 1 when in Performance (multitimberal) Mode?

Does the XV-2020 in performance Mode scan the first 7 MIDI channels before Channel 8, even though my controller is sending MIDI only on Channel 8? And does my controller's processor have to scan past 7 channels to send channel 8?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.

A receiver/module doesn't scan. They read the channel number. Whether 1 or 16, it's the same "size" of info.

On a transmitter, the channel is assigned to the data. As before, all channel numbers are the same size.

On either device, if channel 1 (0000) isn't used, a different value, even 16 (1111), is used instead. Neither takes more time than the other.

Some receivers (probably most by now) will ignore identical/repeated commands to save time. So, only if a different channel is sent, will it read the channel data.

Multiple layers of different channels is where any problems might occur, but these have been minimized by many tactics like the previous paragraph.

I've used 8 layers with no problems.

Thanks!

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Archived