Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Xp 30 repair

saucyjack

A month or so ago my Roland Xp 30 just stopped working.

I had a gig and the Roland seemed to work ok,packed up my gear and went home.A few days later tried to power the the Xp 30 and nothing.Nada.No power.No LED.Just dead.

In retrospect the week or 2 before the gig I was having some problems where the tuning seemed to drift slightly.

I opened up the Xp 30 and poked around...all seems well...Battery ok.No loose wires,etc

I've tried to reach the regional Roland repair shop but no luck.

Anyone have any thoughts on repair or easy to try fixes?

Thinking of replacing the fuse even though fuse appeared ok.

I have since bought a Nord Stage as a replacement so I'm sure I want to sink much money into a repair but I hate just letting the Roland die without a effort.

Smell the Magic

www.Katp.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it have a wall-wart or an internal power supply?

The problem is with the power supply, I feel certain.

If it's a wall-wart, get a Volt-Ohm meter and check the voltage. If the wall-wart is not putting out the designated voltage (printed on the unit), get another one.

If it's an internal power supply, take it to the repair shop (unless you have a schematic and are good at doing repairs such as this).

Good luck,

Tom

EDIT: Nevermind. I found a picture on the web. It's an internal power supply. Take it to a repair center.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug99/images/rolandxp30_2.gif

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Does it have a wall-wart or an internal power supply?

The problem is with the power supply, I feel certain.

If it's a wall-wart, get a Volt-Ohm meter and check the voltage. If the wall-wart is not putting out the designated voltage (printed on the unit), get another one.

If it's an internal power supply, take it to the repair shop (unless you have a schematic and are good at doing repairs such as this).

Good luck,

Tom

EDIT: Nevermind. I found a picture on the web. It's an internal power supply. Take it to a repair center.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug99/images/rolandxp30_2.gif

Thanks Tom.

Yep it's an internal PS.

I was thinking PS problem as well...is this common with the XP series??

If it is PS anyone give me a ball park estimate on repair bill?

Smell the Magic

www.Katp.com

Originally posted by saucyjack:

Thanks Tom.

Yep it's an internal PS.

I was thinking PS problem as well...is this common with the XP series??

If it is PS anyone give me a ball park estimate on repair bill?

You're welcome.

I'm not an electronics technician. I've just got some experience with electronics - just enough to be dangerous.

Ball park estimate on the repair? To put it on the bench is $50 - $75. I'd think the total would be $100 - $150. If it's less than $100, you're getting a deal, methinks.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

In retrospect the week or 2 before the gig I was having some problems where the tuning seemed to drift slightly.

THAT doesn't sound like a fuse. :freak:

Not to take attention away from your problems, but since you opened your XP-30...how difficult is it to get to the contacts? A lot of my buttons are not as responsive as they were and I wanted to see if I could open it up and clean them but if it's too difficult to reach them, I'll have to send it in for repairs. Thanks.

If it's like my XP-60, the front panel buttons are the last thing you get to after taking everything else out. You've gotta go in from the bottom up... upside down. I need it done to my 60 too, but I'll look into having a tech do it. It's a little too much for me.

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

THAT doesn't sound like a fuse. :freak:
Yeah that was weird.

I didn't think much about it at the time because the Synth seemed to be fine otherwise.

Smell the Magic

www.Katp.com

Originally posted by Prague:

A few days later tried to power the the Xp 30 and nothing.Nada.No power.No LED.Just dead.

THAT sounds like a fuse. And don't think there's only one fuse, eother.
Sure, Prague, but if the tuning was drifting BEFORE the final, complete loss of power, I would suspect something more is going on with the power supply.

You can recommend that he open the unit up and scout around, but if he has little or no experience and screws something up he'll be thanking YOU for the advice. :rolleyes:

Again, I recommend taking it to an authorized repair shop and letting THEM do the work.

Tom

Archived