Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does Kawai ES4 have exact piano sound as MP4?

Jazz+

In particular, is the MP4's Grand Piano 2 exactly the same as one of the pianos on the ES4 ?

The ES4 and MP4 piano demos sound rather different. The ES4 seems less detailed in its piano sound.

http://www.kawai.de/es4_en.htm

http://www.kawai.de/mp4_en.htm

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't have the keyboards in question, but I know from reading several posts (if the information I've gotten is correct), that the keyboards are identical, save from a sympathetic string resonace is present on the ES4, but not the MP4.

However, if it's the same effect that was used on the MP9500 (previous generation) I wouldn't miss it.

Thanks Karnevil,

I'll try to ask Kawai customer service, but I won't be completly convinced by by their Kawai-speak answer unless I do a side by side comparison or talk to somebody who has. I doubt Kawai customer service has actually compared the two.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Hmm, that's disconcerting (regarding the difference in detail in piano samples). I just decided to opt for the ES4 myself (over the MP4) because of the speakers. Are there anyone here who could confirm if the piano sound is identical on MP4 and ES4?

The ES4 has two sterio Ac.Pianos and one mono.

1 Is a bit mellow and I dont use it.

2 Is the reason you buy this keyboard.

3 Is a mono version of 1 (unfortunately)

My favourate tweek of No 2 is to set the 'voicing' paramater to 'mellow 2'

and then change the toutch to light 2

(light = responds more easily to velocity)

Then save this to a registration.

On the MP4 the ES4 No.2 has been moved to the No one position it should have been at in the first place.Also the No1 piano is now No 2 on the MP4. The MP4 has In addition I think 5 other pianos to select.

Of the three EQ settings No 3 is meant for using with external speakers but I find the built in speakers also sound best with this setting.This can be memorised as part of the registration as well as brilliance, damper effect, string reso. etc.

I are an *******(CENSORED) too.

The Mp4 dont have the String reso. but dose have the damper effect.Its swings and roundabouts as the main piano is still very playable without the string effect.

If you play a lot of Eps the MP4 is a better bet as you can come up with a lot nore useable and playable variations.The ES4 has one good Rhodes and thats it.On the ES4 the effects are fixed and I wish they they wer'nt- that tremelo is too darn fast!Thats why I put it through an Adrenalinn box.

Kawai's tech support says that the ES4 will do half-pedaling if you get the optional F-20 dual pedal, which comes with the MP8. This is different from the F-2r pedal that is recommended in the ES4's manual, which does not support half-pedaling. I'm waiting on Kawai to get more F-20 pedals in so I can confirm this but it appears to be factual info.

I chose the ES4 as a stage piano over the MP4 for the speakers too - they're just too handy, and I love the sleek black look of the ES4. And yes, Piano #2 is my fav.

An important question I forgot to ask is can the ES4 turn off LOCAL CONTROL on the keyboard and still have the speakers active?

YES, it does support LOCAL CONTROL OFF.

Found it in the manual written in French

http://www.furcht.it/es4-i2.pdf

You see, if I don't like the ES4 piano sound I will play the Roland SRX-11 Complete Piano card in my Roland XV-2020 module through the ES4's internal speakers. I know I'll love the ES4 action based on having played the Kawai MP4 but I am not sure about the piano sound. I'll also be augmenting the ES4's internal speakers with a powered subwoofer and two more satelite speakers. It should be good.

Thanks, that was great info. :)

Could you also tell how the registrations work with external gear? Is it possible to save a registration as local off, and choose a different outgoing midi-channel per registration?

(I use a mac laptop with logic pro in live mode.)

Thanks again.

Originally posted by BOPBEEPER:

The ES4 has two sterio Ac.Pianos and one mono.

1 Is a bit mellow and I dont use it.

2 Is the reason you buy this keyboard.

3 Is a mono version of 1 (unfortunately)

My favourate tweek of No 2 is to set the 'voicing' paramater to 'mellow 2'

and then change the toutch to light 2

(light = responds more easily to velocity)

Then save this to a registration.

I think this is pos. but not 100%.All the paramaters which ive used so far can be stored per registration. Even though the manual says for instance that brilliance setting is global it can be different per registration.So the manual realy under sells the usefullness of of the ES4 as a controller.

Originally posted by Jazz+:

You see, if I don't like the ES4 piano sound I will play the Roland SRX-11 Complete Piano card in my Roland XV-2020 module through the ES4's internal speakers. I know I'll love the ES4 action based on having played the Kawai MP4 but I am not sure about the piano sound. I'll also be augmenting the ES4's internal speakers with a powered subwoofer and two more satelite speakers. It should be good.

WoW!!! GAS has truly struck. Dropping coin like a gearhead should. The ES4 is also on my Top 5 list.

Originally posted by Jazz+:

WoW!!! GAS has truly struck. Dropping coin like a gearhead should. The ES4 is also on my Top 5 list.

Archived