Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai MP8 question

Jazz+

I want to ask the Kawai MP8 owners if each consecutive note shares a uniform tone quality and character with its neighbor note. When I played physicaly modeled pianos I noticed that each note sounds like the the neighboring note as if it has been transposed, they have a uniform tone quality.

I notice on sampled pianos, such as the Roland RD-700SX that each note has a different sample and different character.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the KAWAI Harmonic Imaging:

It is still based on an individual sample for each note, however the dynamic response of the harmonic content is what is modeled, based on Velocity.

SO it is not as if the computer just kicks out a generic bunch of numbers that spell "PIANO NOTE" - there is is still individuality to each note.

What makes this such a wonderful system is that as you play at different dynamic levels, there is no apparent sample switching, becuase the Modelled tonal character is continuously changing. For me, this is what makes the Kawai so expressive in the soft-mid-dynamic region.

- Frost

"Doing things is how things get done"

Well on the ES4 I do hear some difference in sound quality between some notes when im feeling

picky but not when im actally making music.

Didn't notice that on my mate,s MP8 though, maybe cause that action is so wonderfull.The ES4 action is a bit light.

I are an *******(CENSORED) too.

Each note is an individual. As best I can tell. The region about C5 is especially noticable. It definitely has some of the individuality of a hand tuned piano in it. But the variation is very small, you only hear it if you concentrate carefully. The behavior at the last damper is exactly like an acoustic piano. Sometimes people complain to Kawai "the damper doesn't quite work right at this key..." to which Kawai replies "try it on an acoustic grand, that is how it is supposed to sound." It's ironic, because in an "ideal" piano the damper transition would be totally gradual, and there'e no doubt Kawai could do that if they wanted in their MP8, but then they would get complaints from OTHER pianists that the damper behavior was "artificial" and "too smooth". I guess they could make it programmable. Most pianists don't know what an acoustic grand piano really sounds like, sadly.
Piano: Kawai MP8; Interest: classical, self-taught. Occupation: electronics engineer 25 yrs.

Archived