Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RD700SX users : Pedal function

EdMusic

Hi all,

In tone wheel screen you can change the rotary effect from slow to fast by moving the pitch bend lever. I am trying to use a footcontroller for this so i can keep my hands on the keys. For some reason i find that this is not possible. You can set a pedal for MFX ON/OFF and for

MFX Control. In this case is set the pedal for MFX Control and assign the MFX control to the speed parameter but somehow it does not work. I think that an expression pedal would do but i just want a slow/fast function on the pedal.

Any other suggestions ??

Roland FA-08

Nord StageEX compact

Yamaha MG10/2

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a hunch, but if you're using a momentary (sustain type) pedal, it probably IS working, but it doesn't behave as a toggle... so to ramp the sim up to fast, you have to keep your foot on the pedal.

Try that and see if it's behaving that way. If so, you'll have to find a way to enable a toggle type behaviour.

Along the same lines. Can a person have a rotary effect on while playing multiple sounds? I have mine set up on many songs as bass in the lowest octives, piano over the entire keyboard and organ in the middle section. I haven't figured out how to turn on the rotary effect while multiple tones are playing. Possible?

Originally posted by EdMusic:

Hi all,

In tone wheel screen you can change the rotary effect from slow to fast by moving the pitch bend lever. I am trying to use a footcontroller for this so i can keep my hands on the keys. For some reason i find that this is not possible. You can set a pedal for MFX ON/OFF and for

MFX Control. In this case is set the pedal for MFX Control and assign the MFX control to the speed parameter but somehow it does not work. I think that an expression pedal would do but i just want a slow/fast function on the pedal.

Any other suggestions ??

If the pedal that you're using is a sustain pedal, it is not a latch pedal, meaning it is only going to set the Leslie to fast as long as you hold the pedal down. You can find inexpensive latch pedals that will work as on/off switches.

Let me know if this still doesn't work for you.

Busch.

Originally posted by Tony Bennett:

Along the same lines. Can a person have a rotary effect on while playing multiple sounds? I have mine set up on many songs as bass in the lowest octives, piano over the entire keyboard and organ in the middle section. I haven't figured out how to turn on the rotary effect while multiple tones are playing. Possible?

Tony,

Hit SHIFT and the MULTI-EFFECTS ON/OFF button. This takes you to the MFX screens.

At the top you see:

MFX STRUCTURE: PARALLEL/SERIAL

MFX1 SOURCE: UP1/UP2/LO1/LO2/FIXED

MFX1 DEST: ALL/SOURCE/SAME FX

So let's say Lower 1 is the organ and upper 1 is the piano.

Set the STUCTURE to PARALLEL

MFX1 SOURCE to LOWER1

MFX1 DEST to SOURCE

Set MFX1 Type to ROTORY (I prefer #22 VK ROTORY)

PRESS F2 to get to MFX2

Set SOURCE to UPPER 1

Set MFX2 Type to FX #78 or 79

Play with this stuff and you get a feel for how the two MFX processors can be assigned. If you want the other FX to go to the bass, then just assign it accordingly.

Busch.

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Just a hunch, but if you're using a momentary (sustain type) pedal, it probably IS working, but it doesn't behave as a toggle... so to ramp the sim up to fast, you have to keep your foot on the pedal.

Try that and see if it's behaving that way. If so, you'll have to find a way to enable a toggle type behaviour.

Didn't read you post. Yes, I'm pretty sure that is the problem.

Busch.

Sven,Busch

thanx for the reply. You were right about holding the pedal down. But if i assign the pedal to the start/stop function of the rhythm/arp it works as an on/off switch, so why not for the speed of the rotary? Something Roland missed ??

I have an Roland DP-8 pedal that you can set for continious(half pedal function) or a switch funtion and in both settings it doesn't seem to work. Or is the switch funtion more a "damper on/off" in stead of a toggle ??

Roland FA-08

Nord StageEX compact

Yamaha MG10/2

Being in this RD700sx pedal thread, I also miss a specific part on/off function. It sure would be handy to trigger a layer while playing. I was not able to set this up on the RD700 and was hoping it would be possible on the SX.

I also miss the SETUP up/down function...that was another handy feature in the RD700, Just push to the next song on the setlist..

Roland FA-08

Nord StageEX compact

Yamaha MG10/2

The software should determine the ON/OFF or PUSH-ON/PUSH-OFF functionality. A latching pedal shouldn't be needed and would then force all other functions to operate incorrectly (such as Sustain).

I'd guess if the software doesn't allow it, the function is not available.

Originally posted by EdMusic:

Or is the switch funtion more a "damper on/off" in stead of a toggle ??

You need to understand how the pedal works. Basically, it's a two-conductor wire that is normally open, meaning that there is no electrical connection between the two wires. When you depress the pedal, it connects the two wires in a closed position, resulting in the ability for a current to pass through the whole system.

The keyboard is looking to see if the pedal is open or closed, and acts on that information.

With the start/stop, it's a one-time signal that occurs when the pedal is in the closed position. That is why it works as it does. Depress the pedal once, the circuit closes, the keyboard tells the sequence to start. It ignores all open situations with the pedal. When another closed status occurs, it again fires the start/stop message.

With the Leslie sim, it's configured such that the Leslie's state will correspond to the pedal state; open is slow (Chorale); closed is fast (Tremolo). This is by design to mimic exactly how a Leslie actually behaves (the real thing uses a lever mounted on the front of the keyboard that you toggle with your hand).

So, what you need to get is a latching momentary pedal; either that, or (by reading the manual) determine whether the 700SX can interpret your momentary pedal as a latching pedal.

Hope this helps.

So, what you need to get is a latching momentary pedal; either that, or (by reading the manual) determine whether the 700SX can interpret your momentary pedal as a latching pedal.

I would hope he only needs a momentary pedal.

Didn't all Leslie preamps (footswitches) have the Push-On/Push-Off function? One certainly didn't hold down a footswitch to keep the Leslie speed fast.

Also, the Leslie footswitch preamps had an On/Stop switch.

So, a Momentary function would emulate the Organ mounted sliders.

The Push-On/Push-Off function would emulate the footswitch preamp.

Software can emulate either function with a standard (momentary) footswitch. Any keyboard/effects that wants to correctly emulate Leslie control should be capable of the correct control.

Originally posted by Prague:

I would hope he only needs a momentary pedal.

He should (my VK-8, for example, works with a standard momentary... but I don't have a 700SX, so... his mileage may vary ;) ).

Didn't all Leslie preamps (footswitches) have the Push-On/Push-Off function? One certainly didn't hold down a footswitch to keep the Leslie speed fast.

If you had a Leslie footbox preamp, then yes... but it was a toggle type footswitch in that, not a momentary. The rest of us had/have to make due with the half-moon toggle switches operated by hand. ;)

So, a Momentary function would emulate the Organ mounted sliders.
If you mean the half-moon switch, like this:

http://music.ashbysolutions.com/LesEns.jpg

...then no, the momentary is not the same.

Software can emulate either function with a standard (momentary) footswitch. Any keyboard/effects that wants to correctly emulate Leslie control should be capable of the correct control.
You're absolutely right, they should be able to, but as I don't have a 700SX, and didn't have time to read the manual to learn for myself, I felt it best to advise him based on his posting of his own findings.

Of course, all this information is contained within the owner's manual, which (if it has been misplaced) is freely downloadable from http://www.rolandus.com/ . :thu:

I just tried mine with the stock pedal plugged into FC1. I set FC1 to 106:MFX CONTROL and the Leslie spins up when you keep your foot on it, backs off when you let up. I think a toggling latch pedal would do the trick.

Originally posted by wake:

I just tried mine with the stock pedal plugged into FC1. I set FC1 to 106:MFX CONTROL and the Leslie spins up when you keep your foot on it, backs off when you let up. I think a toggling latch pedal would do the trick.

This would force you to use a physically latching pedal on all of your FC1 uses, though.

I sure do like that idea of reading the manual. :idea:

On the RD700SX you can control the speed of the Leslie using:

a) PITCH BEND LEVER. This is probably the best imitation of the traditional half moon switch you'll find on any ROMpler or clone for that matter. The lever is spring loaded but acts as a latch switch in this mode. Move it to the left, Leslie fast; right, Leslie slow.

b) MULTI EFFECTS CONTROL KNOB. Clockwise fast. Counter clockwise, slow. Latch.

c) DAMPER PEDAL style footwitch. Acts in a momentary fashion.

c) LATCH SWITCH. On/off.

Busch.

Originally posted by Prague:

This would force you to use a physically latching pedal on all of your FC1 uses, though.

I sure do like that idea of reading the manual. :idea: [/QB]

Yup it would be a one-trick pony.

Concerning the manual: I can't actually *play* the d***med thing much yet, so I get my jollies by reading the tech stuff. I figure by the time I retire (about 5 years) I might be able to play in public, or at least for the family :D

In the case of limited software in this application, a little trick can be to use BOTH type of pedals.

Use a standard Y-cord and plug in both types. Use whichever you need. Just make sure the latching type is unlatched when using the momentary. It's a physical workaround, but it works.

Archived