Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2005-2006 thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LeBron looked shaky at times tonight. Before game one, everyone thought this was going to be a close series. Now I'm sure that will become a popular opinion again.

And Sac leads SA at the half...

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I'm not staying up for the 2nd halfs of West games, but it sure sounds like the Sprus dodged a bullet last night. Sadly, that's probably it for the King's chances. The Spurs will win 1 of 2 in Sac and clinch it at home in game 5.

I love Jason Kidd's stat line from the Nets' win last night: 6 points, 11 rebounds, 13 assists... when someone comes up just shy of a triple double, how often is it points in which they're deficient? Not very often, I'd bet.

Originally posted by Magpel:

it sure sounds like the Sprus dodged a bullet last night.

Yeah, they did.... :cool:

There were a couple of shots at the end of that game that had no right going in...especially Barry's last trey (with kudos to Ginobili for an amazing pass to set that up).

Bonzi could have put the Spurs away if he had sunk his last two free throws - he must really be kicking himself today... ;(

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by steadyb:

Originally posted by Magpel:

it sure sounds like the Sprus dodged a bullet last night.

They sure did. A couple "helpful" calls near the end of regulation didn't hurt either.
Oh, come on...the refs were calling it fair. There were a couple of questionable calls that went the other way as well.... :idea:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

B, the Spurs are a small market team with a star who is, by major media standards, as sexy as dry bread. If it weren't for the Eva Longoria angle and the Argentinian viewing bloc, the Spurs would be a ratings disaster. In fact I believe last year's finals--the best in ages from a basketball perspective--were a ratings disappointment. Fine with me. Basketball for basketball fans.

Who would Stern and the league office rather see in the finals?

Kobe/Phil, 'Melo, Nash, Nowitiski/Cuban, to name but a few. Hell, the Clippers! It would be a media bonanza if the team that Bill Simmons has called "The worst franchise in the history of team sports" made the finals. Every celebrity in SoCal except Jack Nicholson and Steadyb would claim to be a "long suffering Clippers fan" and flock to Staples. Hell, Jack would probably show too.

Nash over Kobe for MVP? What a joke

DIME Magazine / Dime Magazine

Posted: 9 minutes ago

"Word leaked Wednesday morning that Steve Nash will be named this year's MVP. While it won't be officially announced for some time, it looks like it's a done deal. And we think it's absurd.

The fact that Steve Nash is going to win the award isn't the problem. The problem is that Kobe Bryant didn't. Honestly, what more could Kobe have done this season to win the MVP? It's a joke. And what makes the whole thing even more outrageous is that his losing out is clearly personal. To be blunt, he didn't win it because the people with the votes just don't like him. And that's a shame.

Heading into this season, if someone asked you to make a list of what Kobe would have to do in the 2005-06 NBA season to win the MVP, what would you have said? Something like that Kobe would have to show that he's the best player in the NBA and he would have to take that god-awful Lakers team to the playoffs not an easy thing to do in the Western Conference.

So what did Kobe do? Here are three numbers: 81, 62 and 35.4. The 81-point explosion against the Raptors in January completely eclipsed the fact that he gave the Mavericks 62 in just three quarters a few weeks prior. His 35.4 points per game, easily enough to secure him the league's scoring title, was the eighth-highest single-season scoring average in league history and the most since MJ put up 37.1 points per game back in '87. No. 8 put together two separate streaks this season where he scored 40 or more points in four straight games.

Let's be blunt: Kobe Bryant is clearly the best basketball player in the world.

We've said it so many times: Steve Nash's supporting cast includes Shawn Marion (a guy who should have received some MVP attention) and Boris Diaw (potentially the NBA's Most Improved Player).

But if you substituted any other elite NBA shooting guard for Kobe Bryant and kept that same Lakers supporting cast, L.A.'s season would have been very, very different. Is there any doubt that Los Angeles would have finished with a record that was just as abysmal as that of the Knicks, Raptors or Trail Blazers?

Kobe didn't barely get the Lakers to the playoffs, just scraping out the eighth seed. They finished seventh, were firmly entrenched in the playoff picture for much of the year, and their 45-game win total in the West was more than all but four teams in the Eastern Conference. With complimentary pieces like Chris Mihm, Devean George, Brian Cook and Sasha Vujacic surrounding Kobe, 45 wins in the Western Conference is nothing short of a miracle.

So why no love for Kobe? Like we said earlier, it's strictly personal. There's no other explanation. The writers with the votes just don't like him. They're blurring their feelings about Kobe as a person with how they view him as a basketball player.

We've been hearing all year that Kobe shouldn't win the MVP because he "doesn't make the players around him better." We don't necessarily agree, but if that's what we're basing this on, then by all means, give Steve Nash the "Makes Those Around Him Better Award" and be done with it.

Kobe perfectly fits the two criteria that voters traditionally use when deciding on an MVP: he's the best player in the league and he's invaluable to his team.

Kobe Bryant is the NBA's Most Valuable Player.

It's not even close."

Kobe is at worst (and most probably) a rapist and at best an adulterer. I am not standing on religious grounds here, but the fact is Kobe is not any kind of a role model except on the court. Granted hes a damn good player, but the NBA should not celebrate hoodlums like Kobe and Artest, it should commemorate role models like David Robinson and . . . well Im sure there are others. . . .

There are no official NBA criteria for the MVP, so I think selecting a non-criminal (and someone respected by his team) is a damn good idea.

Originally posted by Unknot:

Kobe is at worst (and most probably) a rapist, so I think selecting a non-criminal (and someone respected by his team) is a damn good idea.

You have your head so far up your ass, it's not even funny.

Please share your "evidence". Kobe has never been convicted of anything, so your opinion is just that, "your opinion" (and a not very informed opinion at that)

Originally posted by Sergievsky:

Go BULLS!!! Down 2-0. We got the Heat right where we want 'em! :cool::D

That series certainly could be 1-1 right now. Let's see if home court will turn things the Bulls' way.

I only saw a bit of the first half, but the Lakers looked good and the Suns DID NOT!

It's kind of remarkable how small they are. When you consider that the Lakers' low post talent is not exactly elite and they're still pounding it inside with success, you have to wonder about what Brand and Kaman would do to the Suns should both the Suns and the Clips advance to round 2.

Hmmm...perhaps I'll start rooting for an LA-LA rd. 2 matchcup, for the drama of it.

Nah. I can't root for the Lakers. Just can't do it.

Archived