Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Portable Piano shoot out

zephonic

Keyboard Mag is not available here in Kenya, although you can sometimes find a seven-month old back issue for like $10.

Still, I'd happily pay a premium to have someone in Europe or the US mail me an issue if it featured a comprehensive portable piano shoot out. That is:

* include all models from all manufacturers, also less obvious ones such as Casio or Technics.

* have multiple reviewers do blindfold-listening tests, both on studio monitors and typical live speakers (EON's or Mackies etc.), and present the results graphically.

* ditto tests for action/feel (I realise that this will involve some creativity with cardboard and cellotape, but hey...)

* the manufacturers might scream, but how about a 'dropping it from an elevated stage or roof of an SUV' section as the final part of the test?

Now that would be ten bucks well-spent...

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/

Go to "Digital Piano Shootout" to hear audio samples of each.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Archived