Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Action: S90ES RD700SX

Killerloop

Hello! I really would like to buy one of this keyboards.

I prefer the S90Es in all cases just th eRD 700SX Piano and in general the Roland Brasses are better.

But the real problem for me is the keyboard action.

Now I own a Yamaha P120. and i really like this heavy keyboard action. (But I miss controllers and Sounds and so on.)

For me the Keyboard of Rolands seems to be a liitle cheap. Not so quality.

I like the S90ES Action but it is much lighter than the one in P120. So id the action in RD700S xlighter oder more heavy than the one in S90es?

I mean i really stydy piano and so i want that for my exercieses my finger have the best keyboard action. it shoul bring most by my spends.

So I think it is better to play with heavier keyboard action isn't it?

Thanks for answeres.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The action on these keyboards can be very subjective. I too like a heavier action. I own both the RD700SX and the original S90 (to my knowledge the action hasn't changed with the SX). The RD700SX uses a graded action while the S90 is balanced (the same weight across the keyboard). I find the RD700SX to have slightly heavier and more realistic (balanced key) feel to it. But I much prefer either Yamaha or Roland weighted actions to the Fatar which you'll find on most other instruments. The Kawai also has a great action, but they have limited distribution and are harder to find.

When comparing actions, make sure the keyboards are set at proper playing height. If you they are too high, they can feel heavier. If they are high and angled, then they're not going to feel right (gravity isn't doing its thing). Also, try comparing the action with and without sound. Often times the sound can influence your opinion.

Busch.

Thanks. I thought about a Fantom or Motif Rack but th eProblem is i also would like to buy a Nord Electro but then iI have NO keynoarde which has Pitch Wheel or Mod Wheel.

And i really think One Masterkeyboard would be a good investment.

I think i have to test both. But also for studying would you say the S90Es is good enough?

Which disadvantage do you think has the S90 against RD 700(SX)

Thanks

By Eric:

"The one feature of the S90 or S90ES action that completely differentiates it is AFTERTOUCH. I really think this sets it apart"

Good point, Eric. I still think Roland wins on looks, feel and piano sounds, but the S90 is a more complete synth/piano/controller keyboard. And right now, the best buy would be a S90 for around $1300 as I've been told.

I also wonder what happened to the short lived XV-88. Wouldn't that be the real competitor to the S-90s?

For the S90 I saw $1300 as the advertised price at a national retail chain...makes you wonder how low they'll actually go when you wave some cash in their face. Usually when something's been discontinued, they'll do anything to free up the warehouse space - especially as we quickly approach the holiday season.

Maybe I should change my gear strategy to buy a second S90 to leave set up permanently at home, so I'm not always getting the gig S90 out of its case. The $1300 price can't be helping the used/eBay market for S90, so at whichever point I cut over to an S90ES or Nord STAGE, I may as well keep my old S90 rather than losing a bunch of money.

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by Carlito:

I also wonder what happened to the short lived XV-88. Wouldn't that be the real competitor to the S-90s?

Make it the size of the RD700SX (the XV-88 is big) but with aftertouch, more SRX slots and fully programmable. I would dig that.

Busch.

Often times the sound can influence your opinion.
The sound makes a HUGE difference in feel. But since we play while listening, that's what counts -- how does it feel when playing and listening. (Not to say that it's a waste of time playing with sound off, just that it doesn't matter as much as with sound on.)

To me, whenever a (real) piano gets tuned, the action feels 100% better, crisper, smoother, more even, better in every way. The difference used to astound me, though now I'm kind of used to it. Does that happen to other folks too?

Part of it is that the response of the piano changes dramatically, and you don't have to strike as hard to get the same oomph out of the piano -- so it isn't entirely psychological.

Thanks. Which Keyboardaction is more heavily in your opinion? (I mean the P120 is the most heaviest. But is the RD700Sx or the S90ES more aduously to play. (Which is good for Finger and Technic training.

Is a S90ES in the same way suitable (about real learning/training/stdying piano and piano technic (not just playing at home for fun) like the P12 or the RD 700SX?

Thanks. -again

i think the rd700sx has the more heavy feel to it.

it is a little more jumpy too.

that's what i feel ...

if u wanna go crazy about the feel of them look

here:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/18/t/015666.html

i think i am allready paraniod ^^

btw. the rd700sx is graded action ... meaning it

is like on a real piano harder to press the lower

keys than the higher.

bye

faenwulf

Archived