Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif ES USB Port

smk

Hi. I just got a Motif ES and needed to get a USB powered 5,400 rpm hard drive (such as Lacie or Seagate). Anyone have any issues with these drives running on the USB power from the Motif ES? Should I be getting a USB flash drive instead?

I'd like to be able to use the extra storage in the USB hard drive to transfer files back and forth from my internet computer to my music computer in addition to saving files from the Motif ES. Will this be a problem?

Please help a Motif ES newbie out. Thanks!

--------------------

Scott

"You only live once..."

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a generic 5400 rpm drive and it runs fine USB powered from the ES.If you don't need a ton of storage space I would consider the smart media cards as they load a lot quicker than the drive.

Stephen

If I may ask, why did you opt for the USB powered 5,400 rpm hard drive instead of a SM card if the SM card loads faster? What would I need the extra storage for if just using this drive with the Motif ES?

--------------------

Scott

"You only live once..."

I got the SM card when I bought my Motif ES7... I was experimenting with a USB hard drive that I had lying around, and ... well, the rest is history. :freak:

The only concern with the SM cards is keeping them safe from harm during transit; I use a reinforced credit card holder with a small piece of cloth wrapped around the SM cards, which are inside their protective plastic sleeves. Works for me so far (and always keep backups of all your data... can't stress that enough).

Cheers,

SG

Thanks for the reply. So I guess I could transfer sound/sample files from the Motifator site to the SM card to the Motif ES?

Sorry, this is all very new to me and I can't seem to get on the Motifator forums for some reason.

--------------------

Scott

"You only live once..."

If you have an SM card reader in your computer, yes... if not, there are a couple of solutions. I have a USB memory stick that I use to transfer samples across, because I don't have an SM reader on my PC... it's a bit of a hassle, but it works okay once you get used to the process.

What happens when you try to get to the Motifator forums by clicking this link ?

Cheers,

SG

Thank you Sven for your replies! I tried clicking on the link and the browser does the same thing when I click the Forum button on the Motifator site - it comes up blank. I wonder what could be the problem?

--------------------

Scott

"You only live once..."

A USB HD can be handy if you use a lot of samples. I have a USB CDROM for reading samples, USB HD for saving the samples that I will use, and a SM card for favorites.

One thing to know, you cannot use a USB hub with the ES. To load samples from a CD and save to a HD you have to plug in the CD, load the samples, disconnect the CDROM and connect the USB HD, then save to the HD. Luckily the Motif ES does know when you attach and disconnect USB devices and you can do this with no problem.

If you get a HD don't get a 5400 RPM model that requires power from the USB. Get a good external USB drive that you can also use with your computer.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

If you get a HD don't get a 5400 RPM model that requires power from the USB. Get a good external USB drive that you can also use with your computer.

Robert

Any reason why? Motif ES doesn't generate enough power perhaps?

Anyway, now I'm thinking of getting a 4 gig USB flash card instead...

--------------------

Scott

"You only live once..."

Archived