Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

P120 Sequencing Metronome Question/Help

daBowsa

Hi all - a friend of mine bought a P120 on my recommendation, and he came up with an interesting question that almost seems like a "bug" to me. Can anyone verify this behavior or offer a solution that I can forward to him?

Hey Ben,

I am trying to record a piece that starts on an off-beat. So I fire up the

metronome, click click click (1 beat per quater note). Then I press the

record button, ready to go. Then I wait for my mental count to hit the first

"and" in the measure, and I hit the first note. When I hit that note, the

metronome magically restarts using that as the first beat! How frustrating.

Any idea how to change this behavior?

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks in advance!

-Ben.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I wish to create a Song, I first play a high hat on beats two and four. The only way around the problem you described is to play the top note of the keyboard which does not have a drum sound associated with it but still enters in information. You will have to switch over to the bank that has the drum sounds. Not all the keys will 'sound' but the piano will record the action just the same.

The first note you play is beat 1 from the keyboard's point of view. That's just the way it is and a work around would be what I suggested.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Great answer Dave, thanks! The problem with the P120 is there's no drum patch, and only 2 tracks.

Relegating one of the tracks to be a 4 beat count-in only makes it a 1 track sequencer.

Would it work to use this technique on track 1 with any patch (the notes will sound), then record track 2. Now will the metronome sync correctly if track 1 is re-recorded with an actual part?

I guess I'll have my friend try it out.

Thanks again Dave, if there's anyone who knows about sequencing on the P-series, its you!

-Ben.

Just in case what I wrote wasn't clear, you use 'ghost' notes supplied by the drum set as a work around.

You could also start on beat one and then delete the track in question after you've added info on the other tracks. I believe the P120 only has two tracks though.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Hi,

You can solve this problem by pressing the Start/Stop button to initiate recording instead of letting the first key played determine the first downbeat.

Also, the Aux Pedal input can be assigned to Start/Stop so you can use you foot to start (and stop) the recording process. Re: page 35 of the user's manual. :)

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Archived