Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I fell in love today...

daBowsa

I love it. I'm not a huge piano conosuer, and I'm not in a critical listening environment (the living room through 2.1 computer speakers or cheap headphones - I just ordered a pair of Sony 7506 headphones based on their flat response and extended listening comfort), but the only pianos I play on the S90 are variations or tweaks of the S700. When I play other pianos on the board (PowerGrand, SoftTouch, JazzGrand) they seem to a little flat compared to the triple strike. For example, with SoftTouch you really feel like you're only playing the soft layer of the S700, and you miss being able to open things up when you play louder. If want the sound of SoftTouch, I just pay the triple strike softly - as you'd expect a real piano to react.

Now this is solo piano - some of the non-triple patches are different, unique and cool and will have their uses sitting in a mix somewhere, but for exposed playing the S700 is very satisfying.

My favorite tweak is "Mojo S700" from snintey.com, a little less reverb and a little less highs on the hard strike layer. This blends everything together quite nicely. There are a few other variations out there I'd like to try, but I have to get the S90 close to my computer to use the USB hook up.

I've never owned a triple strike before, so I'm not sure if I'm loving that, or this particular triple strike sample, but I think its great - warm, dynamic, expressive. It makes me want to play piano again! Previous to the S90, I'd sit down and run the gambit on organs, eps, clavs and synths of my boards. Now I sit down and just play piano!

Excellent Review! I'm glad you are lovin' your new board. :thu:

Chris

Chris M.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived