Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you guys record/pan different keyboard stuff?

shniggens

Just curious how you record and pan different keyboard sounds.

For instance, do you record say a Hammond sound in stereo or mono? Does it depend on the situation?

How about piano? Stereo?

Synth? Strings? Pads? Lead?

I know there are many factors to consider, but I was just want to get kind of a general "rule of thumb" on how to pan and record different keyboard sounds.

This recording stuff is tedious, time-consuming, monotonous shnit. I wish I could convince my wife to push the buttons and mix stuff for me. Then I could just concentrate on playing . . . :D

Amateur Hack

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too much "stereo" just becomes mono in my experience. So many synth patches rely on effects to make them sound bigger, but they are designed to be heard alone, not in the context of a dense piece of music. I try to record as much stuff as I can in mono so that I have 180º of control where to put it when it comes time to mix.

If you have one "lead" part, not lead as in solo but main part, say a piano or B3, make it stereo, but don't necessarily go hard left and right with the panning. Then all the other parts can be mono and spaced within or outside the lead part. You can also add delays and modulation effects during the mix to individual parts to help move them around.

Don't forget your frequencies, too. Make room for all the parts - too many similar, overlapping frequencies turn to mud quickly!

Archived