Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Selling softsynths you don't use - illegal?

daBowsa

So I posted my copy of Lounge Lizard on ebay today. I stated that I've uninstalled my copy and that the serial number still has two of three authorizations left. I also stated that you'll have to contact Applied Acoustics to enable the product once installed.

Then this afternoon I got this email:

Please remove this auction. Lounge Lizard is copyrighted & protected software. Selling it to anyone other than the registered user is illegal and an infringement of the license agreement. The sounds and software are licensed & registered ONLY to the registered user and, therefore, cannot be resold, copied or lent. This is a blatant infringement of the license agreement and if the sale is completed, we will be seeking damages from the seller & this auction site.
I spent $200 on EP-1 then another $50 to upgrade to EP-2. Cracked versions of this software is available online. I've done the "right thing" paying for licenses for Lounge Lizard and B4. I don't have a lot of cash floating around, I'm just a weekend warrior - I don't own a lucrative recording studio, this isn't a business write-off to me. This is a lot of money I've spent on what I consider "gear."

Now they're telling me I can't sell it? I'm just stuck with it? I don't know...

What do you guys think about this? What do you think I should do? What are other music software companies policies on license transfers?

What cans of worms does this open? I've already made the decision to go hard again, this only re-enforces that in my mind.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you should "honor" a license to a certain extent. For instance, I wouldn't pirate it or give copies to my friends, however......you paid for it.

The product's worth to the company that "licenses it" doesn't warrant them suing you in court. That's why they emailed you a "warning". Call their bluff. Sell it anyway.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Non-transferrable licenses suck rocks. I hate when software developers do this.

But it's their license, they can make it anything they want. You "agreed" to it when you opened the package or whatever. :rolleyes:

The only real recourse is to not buy software with non-transferrable licenses. I personally try to do just that, but it's hard to keep track of who sells what.

One of the (many) reasons to love open-source! :D

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Well instead of responding to that ebay PM, I emailed Applied Acoustics directly asking them how I go about transfering a license.

They responded saying its no problem, just send them the serial number, name and email of the new owner. They'll disable mine and give the new licensee the download links.

So who knows who sent me that first email, but props to AAS for "doing the right thing" on their part.

Go buy Lounge Lizard! Its the warmest, funkiest, most flexible EP recreation available...and you can transfer your license!!!

I refuse to buy anything I can't resell if I decide I no longer want it.

Would you buy a car with a resale value of zero?

Loung Lizard will just have to do without my business. I'll use MrRay instead! Frankly, I didn't care for LL's sound much anyway, which is why I sampled my Rhodes. (Free HERE -- temporary location due to comlete asshole idiots for domain name providers.)

Edit -- didn't see your post directly above -- good for LL! Doing the right thing, happy to see it.

BTW, I purchased a copy of Scarbee RSP76 on ebay, and mentioned it on a forum. I got a polite note from Mr. Scarbye himself that it was illegal/invalid/etc. However, after an exchange about the details of the sale and expressing my desire to be legit (and the fact that it was still sealed) he wrapped up with a warm welcome to the product.

For those of you intending to buy or sell a product like this, I suggest you contact the manufacturers and find out their policy.

Ridiculous. Software makers enforce non-transferable licences, and then they wonder why pirated versions are abound and no one wants to actually buy the software. :rolleyes:

Most retailers certainly don't give software buyers with the same support that hardware buyers receive, and in most cases you can't return software if you don't like it.

Let this be a lesson learned. Download the "unofficial trial" version next time to see if you like it first.

Dabowsa:

That's a lot more reasonable a response than what you read in the email. Buying anything that you can't resell is like buying a car you can't trade in or buying a car and they won't let you drive it.

I can't blame a company for wanting to protect themselves, and one package should only have one owner. Why should they "support" 2 users if only one package was purchased? There's lots of reasons for "licensing agreements", just as long as they're reasonable.

Mike

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived