Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for Stephen Kay

mildbill

in case you check back in:

i wrote you a couple years back in regards to if karma would ever be available for use as a general non-synth specific computer program.

your reply at the time was something like 'eventually - yes'.

well, it took a while but karma for tritons came out.

i'm just wondering how close we're getting to 'karma for everyone'?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I owned a Karma for awhile but sadly had to sell it for other reasons. I love the Karma function but hated the keyboard especially the action of the keys. I too wondered if there would ever be a standalone Karma software that is not exclusive to the Karma or the Tritons.

I really hope to make that a reality this year. As you can see from the OASYS stuff, I was really busy with that. Without getting into a discussion of the pros and cons of the whole package, the KARMA part of it is pretty slick (IMHUO ;) ), and way more advanced than the Karma Workstation. It took up all my time for the last two years.

Thanks for your interest, and if you want, you can join one of our mailing lists to be notified of future developments:

http://www.karma-lab.info/phplist/?p=subscribe

Stephen Kay - KARMA Developer: www.karma-lab.com

KARMA OASYS page: www.karma-lab.com/oasys

Disclaimer: all opinions are my own, and not those of Korg.

Originally posted by baldo:

Stephen KAY - how are sales of the karma-triton going?

Good enough that I'm not discontinuing support of it, but not so great that I'm retiring this year. ;)

I have to admit, I gave up waiting for it. Given the time it seemed it would take to create the standalone version, progress was slower-than-glacial. :rolleyes:

And that is a damn shame too...whereas computer-based digital audio development has been all the rage for the past 10-12 years, algorithmic MIDI development has been all but nonexistant during that time period...a period that followed a very fertile time when there were tons of algorithmic MIDI software apps (late 80s).

Thank goodness for Cycling '74's M (a 17-year-old app!), MAX, and Clavia's G2, and Five12's Numerology. This is not to say any of these apps do what KARMA can do, for they do not...but they are some of the algorithmic MIDI tools available at this time.

I wish Korg had created a KARMA-only desktop module/sequencer with many knobs, a much larger screen, multiple MIDI outs and no internal synth engine...I would have bought such a device *immediately*.

I hope KARMA Creator really does appear someday. And heck, if it does so without the use of PACE :cry:

cheers,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

from aeon:

I wish Korg had created a KARMA-only desktop module/sequencer with many knobs, a much larger screen, multiple MIDI outs and no internal synth engine...I would have bought such a device *immediately*.

stop it aeon: you're making me drool (or cry - not sure which). it would of course, be fully editable with regards to GE's and such. i want one!

i still get a kick out of using cubase's interactive phrase synth once in a while, but something like you're describing would be a no-brainer.

Originally posted by FrankieP:

I love the Karma function but hated the keyboard especially the action of the keys.

Good, so it's not just me. I was worried that I was going to break the thing because I had to mash so hard to get the aftertouch going...

Originally posted by Stephen Kay:

the KARMA part of (the Oasys) is way more advanced than the Karma Workstation. It took up all my time for the last two years.

Stephen, since you're here... :D

An obvious question: Will the new Karma functions developed for the Oasys be available for the old Karma synth as an update?

I was about to buy a Karma quite a few times, I'm so intrigued by the possibilities! (and needless to say, I can't afford an Oasys...) :)

Originally posted by marino:

Stephen, since you're here... :D

An obvious question: Will the new Karma functions developed for the Oasys be available for the old Karma synth as an update?

I think it's unlikely that any of that will be ported into the existing Karma Music Workstation. There's really no way from a hardware standpoint to do it - the OASYS has the whole Control surface with 5 seperate layers for KARMA - no way to simulate that on the Karma Workstation.

However, I think the new features and advances will be available in software form, for users of the KARMA MW and KARMA Triton software - so you could still have the new features, just not inside the keyboard. ;)

Archived