Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Splitting a double switch pedal

Carlito

I have a double switch pedal with a single stereo plug, and I'm trying to convert it into two, to use with 2 keyboards. Is that possible? If yes,How? I tried a stereo-to-mono splitter, but it didn't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Carlito:

I have a double switch pedal with a single stereo plug, and I'm trying to convert it into two, to use with 2 keyboards. Is that possible? If yes,How? I tried a stereo-to-mono splitter, but it didn't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

So its a TRS plug, I assume. I would have expected the splitter to work.

Can you put a multimetre across it and see what happens when you depress each pedal?

Depending on the configuration of the pedal, you may be able to use a MONO single to MONO dual "Y" cable. That would split the activation of ONE of your pedals to two destinations, presuming the 'common' signal is on the sleeve of your stereo pedal, and ring & tip are the switch carriers.

The result of this would be that whichever pedal corresponds to the tip on your jack would then be sent to both keyboards, while the second pedal would do nothing.

(I'm going on the assumption that you're referring to a two-pedal piano style sustain/sostenuto pedal arrangement... if it's a two-button pedal, like those included with a lot of guitar amps, this may or may not apply).

Having re-read your post, I'm wondering what pedal it is you're using. Let us know the make/model number, and we'd likely be in a better position to assist. :)

Cheers,

SG

I did it on my dual damper pedal & it works great. Unfortunately, I'd have to look at it to tell you exactly how I did it & since I'm at work that is not an option. I do remember that it was pretty simple & if you can operate a soldering iron you can do it too.
"I'm not a monkey anymore..."

Thanks for the replies, guys.

So its a TRS plug, I assume. I would have expected the splitter to work.

The result of this would be that whichever pedal corresponds to the tip on your jack would then be sent to both keyboards, while the second pedal would do nothing.

With a splitter, one pedal doesn't work while the other sends information to both keyboards at the same time.

Having re-read your post, I'm wondering what pedal it is you're using. Let us know the make/model number, and we'd likely be in a better position to assist.
Looks like a Fatar or Ensoniq. There's no name or model number.

I did it on my dual damper pedal & it works great. Unfortunately, I'd have to look at it to tell you exactly how I did it & since I'm at work that is not an option. I do remember that it was pretty simple & if you can operate a soldering iron you can do it too.

Appreciate.

Originally posted by Carlito:

Thanks for the replies, guys.

With a splitter, one pedal doesn't work while the other sends information to both keyboards at the same time.

Looks like a Fatar or Ensoniq. There's no name or model number.

So you don't have a true stereo splitter, then. The stereo splitter will connect the tip to one output's tip, and the ring to the other output's tip, and the sleeve (ground) to the sleeve of both.

What you're attempting to do is use the left pedal as (for argument's sake) sustain for one keyboard, and the right pedal as sustain for the other keyboard, yes? In that case, a stereo splitter will do the job for you nicely. These are most often identifiable by the differing colours of the 'split' end of the connection.

Hosa has what you need right here . Radio Shack or your local MI dealer will also be able to hook you up (pun intended ;) ).

Cheers,

SG

What you're attempting to do is use the left pedal as (for argument's sake) sustain for one keyboard, and the right pedal as sustain for the other keyboard, yes? In that case, a stereo splitter will do the job for you nicely. These are most often identifiable by the differing colours of the 'split' end of the connection.

Exactly. I'll buy one tomorrow. Thanks, again.

For what you are trying to do, I think you need an effects insert cable like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/333030/ and a female to female stereo adapter which Radio Shack should carry. Radio Shack may carry female stereo to male 1/4" mono cords as well. They may have RCA male to 1/4" female stereo, and then you would need RCA to 1/4" male adapters which I know they carry.

Originally posted by Prague:

[QBHere is one that Guitar Center carries. One of the two sockets is marked Left and the other is marked Right.[/QB]

This won't work, as the connections are backwards. He needs a female stereo 1/4" (that he plugs the pedal into), to dual male mono 1/4" (that he then plugs into each keyboard).

The link I provided above shows the proper connector.

Regards,

SG

Archived