Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

88 Key gig bag and stand

saucyjack

So after fooling around with my Korg Ms2000 for a few weeks trying to get sounds,I took my Yamaha S80 to pratice and bingo there were the sounds I was looking for.

Problem is I really a case or gig bag.The S80 is a beast.

Never really hauled keyboards,but I think a stout gig bag with wheels might be the ticket.

I found a brand called Protec which look pretty cool.

Any other makes to check out?

Do the better gig bags have enough protection?

I won't be doing any major touring just occasional in town shows and practices.

Also need a portable sturdy stand

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Smell the Magic

www.Katp.com

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Protec makes a pretty decent quality gig bag. For the S80, you want something with wheels or your back will suffer. There are also some generic fiber cases that you can get at some of the major suppliers, like Sweetwater, American Musical, and I believe Musician's Friend. They buy a lot of them and sell them under their own name. A lot less money than some "name" brands, not flight case rated (ATA), but who cares? Personally, I would get a LW fiber case instead of ANY gig bag. It will save your KB, and with wheels, it will save your back.

Stands. I like Quiklok, as well as Standtastic. QL stands are SUPER heavy, although their quality control has been slipping somewhat lately. Typically, their stands last longer than the KB you put on it. Standtastic makes a great two tier stand that you can adjust the width on, so you can stack smaller mono synths on top and adjust the angle, while still being able to put a heavy 88 note, wider KB on the bottom. Slightly less expensive than Quiklok. Both are great stands.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I hate to say it, but after 1 year I gave up on my S80 for gigging and went to my unweighted/non-88-key Triton, just because of the size/weight factor. I tried the nicest bag I could find and still clunked the damn thing on doorways cause it was so big. I got a "lightweight" case and it took chunks out of my basement stairs if I tried to slide it and was still WAY too heavy.

Still love my S80, but it stays in the studio now. I'm looking at that 88-key Casio for a gigging keyboard, once I get some $$

-DRD

I've been using flight cases for quite a long time and never regretted the extra weight. I throw the equipment in the back of my van and if the drummer comes along, the drums get thrown on top. It only takes one minor accident to pay for the extra cost and weight of a flight case. If you are the only one ever to move your keyboard, a gig bag could work. I always look at the worst case scenario and base my decisions on that.

Is the case you're interested in the same basic type as a SKB case or are you looking at a soft padded case?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

saucyjack:

Although SKB cases are a well known brand, they don't have a monopoly on fiber cases. Do a search on the web, and don't be afraid of buying generic case. I have some, and although SKB, as well as Anvil, always had great quality ATA cases, you pay a premium price for them. There's a TON of markup on cases, so getting one from a generic internet company will save you a lot of money and still do the job, especially for local use.

Dave is absolutely correct about the slight difference in cost of a quality hard shell or fiber case far outweighs the risks using a soft gig bag.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I got a RokSak gig bag (in UK) recently for my Roland V-Combo and I can recommend it. Tough material with lots of padding over the keys, pockets and even a keyboard cover inside. It has squared off edges too so it can free stand.

My days of lugging a weighted 88 key board in a flightcase are over!

Nord Electro 3

Roland JV-90

Archived