Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurz PC1X--After the honeymoon

Anomaly

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have had mine about 2 weeks, so I'm still in the honeymoon period. The extent of my foray into the programming menu is to change the output from stereo to mono for a band practice. I still like it, especially solo grand piano and the first 5 rhodes sounds [which is why I got the thing in the first place]. I'll get back to you in a month or so.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

I have had one for a few months and am happy with it. The pianos and vocals, and to some extent orchestral sounds, compliment my other kit nicely. It also has great MIDI master control capabilities, which was the main selling point for me.

I haven't found anything else for that price that does what the PC1x does.

Downside? The synth sounds (synth brass & strings) don't move me so I can not use it as an "all in one" board for casual gigs.

"More tools than talent"

Motif ES7:Kurzweil PC1x:Electro 2 73:Nord Lead 3:MKS-80:Matrix 1000:Microwave XT

You know, I don't think that 'all-in-one' board exists. God knows I have looked for it hard enough. I am resigned to carrying 2 or 3 boards just to have the sounds that I like to use. Except, I am going back on strike where it concerns synth horns - I can't stand screwing with them. I'm just going to substitute the xk-3. So I'm down to the xk-3 and the pc1x. The pc1x does fit in my focus with the other stuff.

Originally posted by daviel:

[QB]You know, I don't think that 'all-in-one' board exists. God knows I have looked for it hard enough. QB]

Yeah, I've resigned myself to that thought, too. It is especially hard for me as I play in such a diversity of projects. I'm just thinking the PC1X might do what I want it to fairly well. It's a bit on the heavy side for my old back, but it looks pretty straightforward. I need good acoustic and electric piano sounds. I have a VK for organ, although I see a, XK3 in the not-too-distant future.

Do you think the PC1X is pretty road worthy? I've been using an SL880 Fatar for a couple of years and it just isn't tough enough for road work IMO. I want a solid board, but the P250 is flat-out too heavy and I need more of a midi-controller than a P120 can offer.

It's built like a tank. I'm careful of the four little knobs. I really like the piano sounds, even up against the Yamahas. It's deep into midi control. So imho it's road worthy/gig worthy. We'll see - I'll be the first one on here whining if it breaks down!

Originally posted by Unsound Practices:

The synth sounds (synth brass & strings) don't move me so I can not use it as an "all in one" board for casual gigs.

There's actually a K2000-like VAST synthesizer under the hood of the PC1x and PC2 (identical for both). Make sure to check out Frank-Detlef's PC2 Manager program for Windows. It can be downloaded for free through this post at sonikmatter.com. Aside from being a patch librarian, the PC2 Manager lets you edit all VAST synthesis parameters of PC1x and PC2. We used it to create our FM sounds for PC1x and PC2.

Paul Dillen

DLN Sound - FM sounds for Kurzweil *NEW* Forte, PC3, PC2, PC1 and K2 series

That is strange. I don't own a PC1x myself but know of PC1x users who report they can successfully transfer sounds to PC1x with the PC2 manager. Also, kurzweil confirms that PC2 and PC1x sysex are identical, aside from KB3 of course which the PC1x doesn't support.

What problems did you encounter exactly?

Paul Dillen

DLN Sound - FM sounds for Kurzweil *NEW* Forte, PC3, PC2, PC1 and K2 series

Archived