Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

anyone ever have a kawai k3/k3m?

mildbill

this is a cross post - i'm looking for info, please:

i just picked up a K3m dirt cheap, but it's another case of no manual.

if anyone has one, or used to have one, my main question is this:

there is supposed to be an additive oscillator (i think it's #31) - how do you get at the harmonics?

i'm pretty sure you can only adjust amplitude (no individual envelopes), but there are over 60 buttons on this thing, and three 2-digit displays that give no info.

if anyone knows, please clue me in here, PM me, or e-mail me.

thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had my k3m for many years now, and though I don't use it as much I can't get rid of it. Sounds good, can even do some good organ sounds.

Maybe I should put it higher in the rack... :eek:

Anyone use a Mac/PC editor with it?

Raul

Ha! I should have searched the Kawai site instead of the first couple of Google hits. To enjoy.

i sifted thru 5 pages of results before i found it - you'd think it would be higher up on the list.

Anyone use a Mac/PC editor with it?

has anyone ever found one for it? it would sure save a lot of button-pressing.

for an additive thingie, it's got a nice, beefy bottom - must be the filters.

The filters are pretty nice in the K3, but I'm pretty sure there's some kind of bass bump circuit in the output. I remember comparing a K3 with a K3m one time and the difference between the bass between the two units was amazing. The K3 sounded "normal" if a little on the thin side, while the K3m was so bassy, we had to trim the low EQ to make it usable. Made me wonder if there was an engineering change at some point to try to fatten up the sound. Any ex-Kawai people out there? ;)

r33k

I loved my K3! I wish it had better on board effects - like adding a reverb to the lame chorus. The Lyle Mays solo patch (9) was a good pre-set. I almost got a GX-1 brass sound out of it. The french horn was top notch. The Fairlight patch was a mystery. I never got around to editing the sampled waveforms. The organ pathes were ok and very tweakable.

Archived