Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electro Rhodes vs. Scarbee Rhodes

Jazz+

Which sounds more mellow? I want a mellow Rhodes sound for straight ahead jazz, like jazz pianist Bill Evans, Tommy Flanagan and Cedar Walton used. I don't want a funky Rhodes that barks a lot.

http://www.scarbee.com/demos/rsp73_demos.php

http://www.clavia.com/MP3s/index.htm#electro

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Scarbee Rhodes is 3GB, so it's not going to load into a rompler anytime soon. It's possibly the most playable sample I've ever used, a fantastic sound. I highly suggest that you try it out if you can. It's much more authentic than any modeled rhodes sound I've heard.

Side note: it bugs me that I'm not allowed to see the results of the poll without voting. Since I haven't ever heard the Scarbee Rhodes I don't have any business casting a vote, but the way this board keeps you from seeing the results strongly encourages you to cast a bogus vote. :cry:

Jazz,

I recommend the Motif series for the Rhodes sound you seek. Way better than the Electro for my money. I own 4 Rhodes pianos so I know what the real thing sounds and plays like. Those electro sound snippets don't get there for me, anyway.

Mitch

My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

The Scarbee is very good but lacks any real bark so it's not that inspiring for me to play. But it sounds like it might be what you're after. Be careful, bark is expression and with out it (all Rhodes have it to some degree) the instrument can come across as lifeless.

I agree with Mitch, my preference in the digital realm is the Yamaha Rhodes, and I only have three real Rhodes (sold one).

Busch.

Originally posted by radiospace:

Side note: it bugs me that I'm not allowed to see the results of the poll without voting. Since I haven't ever heard the Scarbee Rhodes I don't have any business casting a vote, but the way this board keeps you from seeing the results strongly encourages you to cast a bogus vote. :cry:

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon3.gif While I agree that it's too bad that the default setting keeps users from seeing the results unless they vote, anyone who designs a poll may choose another setting. (Unfortunately, it can't be changed after the poll has been created.)

In order to do this, select the "Advanced Options: Set a start/stop time, viewing options, or voting options" setting in the opening screen that loads after clicking the http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/postpoll.gif button. Then, near the end of the process of creating a poll, the Advanced Options screen opens. As long as the poll's creator fails to check the "Force users to vote before viewing results " box, the poll results will be viewable by all, regardless of whether or not they voted. :)

Like you, radiospace, I'm not qualified to vote in this poll. Perhaps some kind voter will post results later on.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

After playing all the MP3's of the Electro, I wonder what all the Hoop-la is about. I don't like any of them. I think the best feature of the board is how little it ways. There certainly is no comparison between it & the Scarbee samples. And the poll shows it.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Originally posted by burningbusch:

The Scarbee is very good but lacks any real bark so it's not that inspiring for me to play. But it sounds like it might be what you're after. Be careful, bark is expression and with out it (all Rhodes have it to some degree) the instrument can come across as lifeless.

I agree with Mitch, my preference in the digital realm is the Yamaha Rhodes, and I only have three real Rhodes (sold one).

Busch.

Hi Busch,

I think it is fair to all that you tell that you created Rhodes sounds as well for http://www.purgatorycreek.com

Do you own RSP73?

There is plenty of bark in RSP73 - you just have to play a bit hard - like real Rhodes!

George Duke, Philippe Saisse, Otmaro Ruiz, Scott Kinsey, Mitchell Forman, David Goldblatt, David Kahne etc all use RSP73 - so it can't be that bad... ;)

cheers

The poll is now at 100% for the Scarbee.

That said, I think the motif is worthy of a really good test drive. There are a number of really playable rhodes and wurlie patches, and you would end up with a great piano as well. The motif es 8 would be a beast to load, but if you like the sound....

BTW, I don't own a motif. I own and use a RD 700.

David

I haven't played the Scarbee Rhodes either, but compared to a good rompler, the electro rhodes lacks definition. What makes it playable is the distortion, overdrive effects, and it's velocity sensitivity. It's not beautiful, but it can be musically played. In theory, you could tweak a rompler to accomplish the same sensitivity, but I suspect a number of the curves are complex, and the ear/hand relationship finds this interesting.

Yet another way to handle a poll if you don't find the control features you need, is to have an overflow category for "no opinion" "none of the above" " I just like to vote" etc.

I'd love to see the results also.

Best,

Jerry

I have not played the Scarbee Rhodes. The MP3s sound very good. I am a huge Electro enthusiast and prefer the Electro Rhodes over my S90 Rhodes. I feel like the Electro is more realistic as a raw tone, whereas the Yamaha Rhodes are more dependent on FX to sound good. I can get a larger degree of expression from the Electro Rhodes and it barks in a more pleasing fashion, almost as if I can feel the tines slamming inside. Don't get me wrong - the Yamaha has great Rhodes sounds. I often use the Vintage 74 and Sweetness sounds from the S90 when the Electro is in organ mode. But I don't find the S90 to be as musical or expressive as the Electro.

What I like about the Electro is that it captures that early Herbie Hancock vibe very well - like the Rhodes on the Thrust album.

Regards,

Eric

Hey,

You can also hear RSP73 on this demo:

That Sneaky Scarbee Feeling!

http://www.scarbee.com/demos/sid_demos.php

What we have done with RSP73 is carefully reproducing the action and feel of the Rhodes Stage Piano - meaning that all zones (different tines) are authentic in volume and feel.

This way our users can go direct from real instrument without changing playing style.

Chords/solo sounds right too as the balance between bass, middle and treble keys have been reproduced.

The clean RSP73 demos are recorded without any FX and is the direct sound - bypassing tonecontrol. We have made these demos so users will know 100% what they get when they buy our products (no surprises) But you can easily simulate the sound comming out from the normal output with ex. bassboost at middle. The Direct sound is the same as bassboost full + extra brilliance (because tonecontrol on Rhodes suppress the brilliance and gives a more dull sound) You can offcourse simulate the dull sound too.

When adjsusting the bassboost (to middle) - you will also get a more agressive, barking sound.

You a free to download manual.pdf at our site.

I made 12 velocities because I took some serious test to find out what was necessary to get the Rhodes sound and 12 was sufficient because the sound didn't change between those velocities - only volume.

Howver on WEP (Wurly) we did 16 and on our current Clav project I'm doing up to 20 velocities and 32 release velocities. :eek:

The charm with these velocities is the fact that each key sound different and have their own special volume envelope. If you play two bass notes and five chord notes the envelopes is very important as the 7 notes will have 7 diffrent fades and give a special sound.

On a looped Rhodes sound with few velocíties it will affect the sound that they all have same envelope - and sometimes same volume.

With RSP73 each key has been researched so it will playback as original.

The Rhodes we sampled belonged to a good friend whom I used to compose together with. We composed many, many songs on this and it has earned us lot of money ;)

So I belived that it "had" something to it - a good vibe - full of inspiration. It was designed to be a good composer-keyboard for our users and bring them luck and fortune. :cool:

Thomas Hansen Skarbye

Sample Library Producer, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com

Originally posted by Mr.Scarbee:

Originally posted by burningbusch:

Busch.

Hi Busch,

I think it is fair to all that you tell that you created Rhodes sounds as well for http://www.purgatorycreek.com

Do you own RSP73?

There is plenty of bark in RSP73 - you just have to play a bit hard - like real Rhodes!

George Duke, Philippe Saisse, Otmaro Ruiz, Scott Kinsey, Mitchell Forman, David Goldblatt, David Kahne etc all use RSP73 - so it can't be that bad... ;)

cheers

Yes, I did create the Rhodes which you are referring to. I did it at a time when there were no Rhodes available for Giga. If you know this forum and my postings you know that I NEVER try to push it on people here and NEVER reference it. Unlike others, I could give a rat's ass if I ever sell another copy. It had it's time and that has passed.

Yes I do own your Rhodes sample and you can check your records, if you keep them.

I am often tempted to create new Rhodes samples as I am sitting on two really excellent pianos, a Mark V and 1975 wood hammer/fat tine Suitcase. Both were set up by, not my wife, but master Rhodes tech David Ell. I also have access to some extraordinary Rhodes which come through Ell's shop. But I'm going through a period where I'm tired of the digital simulations and much prefer playing the real thing when possible, even though that means lugging the 100 lbs Mark V to gigs. I feel it's important that we as keyboard players not lose touch with the playing real Hammonds, Rhodes, Whurlies, Clavs, etc.

I stand by what I said regarding bark. It is not to my liking. I've owned more than a dozen Rhodes pianos over the years. The amount of bark is variable and customizable in the hands of a skilled technician.

Busch.

Thank busch, eric, scarbe, etc.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Thomas Skarbye, welcome to The Keyboard Corner.

It's been my impression that your products are generally well regarded by forum members here (as is forum member Busch, by the way), and I'd like you to know that we value our product representatives who hang out here.

That said, it may help you to know up front that we do request that the manufacturers who participate go easy on pushing their products. I'm not suggesting that you've crossed a line; but, even so, you may want to know where it's generally drawn. The short version is that we love to have our questions answered, but we don't want to feel that someone is trying to sell us on their products. For more, click here:

I hate being the sales police!

Once again, it's good to see you here. I hope that you'll find The Keyboard Corner to be both an informative an fun place. Please feel free to participate in any topics of interest.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

You can listen to Bill Evans Rhodes sound on "Comrade Conrad" and "Waltz for Debby" on the album called "Bill Evans Album" on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0 00002AE9/qid=1092516697/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/103-8621055-9294254?v=glance&s=music

Notice the attack is not pronounced or percussive and that there is a lot of sustain and body after each note. It has an upfront midrange-y mono sound that enables slurred jazz phrasing, the notes can slur and flow into each other.

Here is Bill Evans playing Rhodes with some tremelo, I presume it's a suitcase model, on "What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life?", also on "Soirée " and again almost with no percussive attack on the notes:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000DLUO/qid%3D1092 517923/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-8621055-9294254

Jazz pianist Hank Jones playing the Rhodes on "Your Feet's Too Big" and "My Ship":

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0 000006BN/qid=1092532333/sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_8/103-8621055-9294254?v=glance&s=music

Also, most of the Electro and Scarbee demos tend to play mostly sustained chords and Clavinet style rhythmic figures below and around middle C and then some ending fills way up high. In the demos they do not play hardly any right hand solos with continuos notes in the two ocatve range above middle C. However there is a run in Scarbee's "A Little Groove" 15 seconds into the track where we actualy do hear a right hand lick. Notice how the notes are very distinctly articulated, how they sound almost detached, the notes in the run don't really slur into each other like on a real Rhodes. I think that is a problem with all the Rhodes clones.

I hear the Nord Electro also exhibiting detached notes in the run on the "Rhodes2" track. Listen to the quasi-bebop single note licks in the right hand, the notes don't slur much into each other, they sound distinct and somewhat detached. They also sound a little small.

Maybe I expect too much, after all these digital clones are not realy the same as a real Rhodes. They are more like photographs of the notes of a real Rhodes. So I should not expect the notes to behave the same way as a real Rhodes when put into play.

I think Mr Scarbee doesn't rerally need these forums to advertise his wares, the samples speak for themselves.. :D

Simply wonderful! I have owned 2 rhodes a 54 and a Stage 73 Mk1 and his samples are great.

I just checked the Purgatory Creek one and I think it sounds nice but I can tell on the mp3s that there is a problem with the release, it sounds unnatural... the Yamaha P120 has a similar problem although in its case there isn't enough release :D

I think Scarbee have a load of release samples...

What intrigues me about the Scarbee stuff is the mention of the upcoming Vintage FX...

That being said I would be really interested in what burningbusch does next with his samples.. esp as he has the legendary Dave Ell to do his rhodes !!!

:D

Hi Geoff:

Ok. Sorry if I crossed the line, but I never like when a representative of a company speaks negatively about a commpeting product in public.

Busch must be biased since he make Rhodes sample libraries himself - and is even leaking info that he might want to do some new Rhodes samples. I own his Giga Rhodes sample library but I would never "review" it on a forum - and comment on it's shortcommings. I would be very biased myself. When I comment on a competitive product it is with positive respect.

What Busch said about RSP73 was that it doesn't bark proberly - and says that the Barking is the key to expression on a Rhodes. To me that is the same as saying that our product is "lifeless" with poor expression. Should I just let that info be posted without getting a chance to defend this?

I also wanted to explain our approach to the sample lib and put a light on the advantages of big sample libraries versus romplers. I believe the info was relevant in the discussion.

I will keep a low profile from now on... ;)

all the best

Thomas Hansen Skarbye

www.scarbee.com

Originally posted by Jazz+:

I think the Scarbee may bark too much. Listen to "A Little Groove", I think the bark is maybe too much, I am not sure, I think it can be adjusted.

Hehe there you go - some say it barks to little! Well If you play hard eneough a Rhodes will bark - play softer and it will be creamy..

[QB]However there is a run in Scarbee's "A Little Groove" 15 seconds into the track where we actualy do hear a right hand lick. Notice how the notes are very distinctly articulated, how they sound almost detached, the notes in the run don't really slur into each other like on a real Rhodes. I think that is a problem with all the Rhodes clones.

There is not much "release" sound in the high octaves so not so much "slur"- remember this is a "clean" recording - don't compare it to a track where amp/FX are added.

Anyway - I better shut up! :rolleyes:

Thomas Hansen Skarbye

www.scarbee.com

Thomas Hansen Skarbye,

I want to say that I value your posts and that they are a fine addition to this forum. I thank you. You are someone who should be considered an honored guest here since you are the maker of what many consider the premier Rhodes samples (see votes). Please don't stop posting here, your posts are an asset to this forum.

Jazz+

Guys,

I've asked this question before, but I'm still a little confused. What kind of equiptment would I need to get the scarbee rhodes up and running? I have a power G4 with 512 MB RAM. Can I control scarbee from my Promega 3?

Thanks

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

Originally posted by hermanjoe:

Guys,

I've asked this question before, but I'm still a little confused. What kind of equiptment would I need to get the scarbee rhodes up and running? I have a power G4 with 512 MB RAM. Can I control scarbee from my Promega 3?

Thanks

Hi hermanjoe,

768 MB ram would be better if you want to play biggest version. (but you can use 512) and you need a software sampler like EXS24 MK II, Halion, Kontakt or GigaStudio.

take care

Thomas Hansen Skarbye

www.scarbee.com

Originally posted by hermanjoe:

Your G4 will probably make it, but more ram would be nice.

I don't know in what detail you want to be informed, but let's try some:

Get a simple midi interface, like the M-Audio Uno and connect the usb side of it to one of the usb ports of your g4, and connect the midi cables of the Uno to your Promega. Now your Promega can communicate with the g4, with the interface as translator between the two machines.

Then start a sampler program on your g4; NI Kompakt is probably the cheapest one. Load the Scarbee samples in the sampler and you're done!

Now when you press a key on the Promega, it will send a message about the key pressed to the midi output in classical-midi-language.

The midi interface translates this message to usb-midi-language and sends it to the g4.

The g4 internally translates some more and the message finally ends up at the sampler program in some virtual-midi-language.

The sampler reacts by playing a sample from the loaded samples, a Scarbee Rhodes sample for example. Great!

Good post fisheye. Now I am wondering if there's much latency.

Archived