Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

M-Audio now part of Digidesign

Dave Bryce

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not sure I like this piece of news. I like the flexibility that M-audio offers and the cost/quality of their monitors and sound cards (and that I can run the cards on Linux). Hopefully that line will continue. Wonder what Gus has to say about all this.

According to everything I've read about the acquisition Avid intends to let M-Audio operate as usual with no significant changes. I think it was a smart move - they, meaning Digidesign/Avid, get to penetrate the native audio market through M-Audio without tearing into any of their current product line. Digi's biggest problem has always been how to upgrade LE without biting into the TDM market.

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

Originally posted by robmix:

According to everything I've read about the acquisition Avid intends to let M-Audio operate as usual with no significant changes. I think it was a smart move - they, meaning Digidesign/Avid, get to penetrate the native audio market through M-Audio without tearing into any of their current product line. Digi's biggest problem has always been how to upgrade LE without biting into the TDM market.

Rob, I agree with you that M-Audio customers probably needn't worry. However, you raised a very good point about Pro Tools LE. I wonder if Digidesign/Avid will now want to phase out this product line in favor of M-Audio products.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Like what, though? Are you talking about software replacement or just replacements for the Mbox? As far as software goes, sure they distribute Live, which is getting closer and closer to a one-stop shop, but they don't have any platform that could really take the place of PTLE.

In a lot of ways, this just opens up a whole lot of prosumer hardware to Avid/Digi that they didn't have before, like monitors, midi keyboards, non-PT AIs, etc. Seems like a good move for them to broaden their market reach.

As to combined projects (maybe this is what you were getting at, Geoff), wouldn't it be cool to see an Evolution controller/PTLE AI interface combo for laptop use? :idea::eek::thu:

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

I think it's great, heard rumours about this a week or two back. I'd be very interested in what Digidesign would do with the Evolution side of things. And what would happen to the 1010?

These are very interesting times.

My latest piece: for orchestra (recorded at Blackheath Halls, London, March 2006, 2mins long)

There are a few project already up M-Audio's sleave in this respect. Hopefully with Digidesign we'll be able to add things like Motorised faders in out products which we haven't been able to do in the past because of building budget constraints.

I was just saddened to see reports of the Pro 88 sucking. It had/has (if we can sort out those problems in new batches) real potential.

My latest piece: for orchestra (recorded at Blackheath Halls, London, March 2006, 2mins long)

Archived