Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Classical Melody/Piece?

Tusker

From Marino:

"...you could always try to play them the Prokofiev ballet with the same title instead. In fact, I prefer it to the Tchaikowsky..."
Yes, Prokofiev: and again thinking about classical melodies for children, how could we forget "Peter and the Wolf?"
"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, there's a lot of rich music in this thread. A number of personal favorites, and some I should check out. I would add two:

The main themes from Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano concerto and the second movement from Bach's Clavier concerto #5.

Thanks for children's video tips. :thu: Two days ago we watched the Nutcracker (Baryshnikov/Kirkland), and it proved a minor hit. Kill the Rabbit was imprinted forcefully on me in one of the Morricone Spaghetti Westerns. I still picture Valkyries as kinda like bad cowboys on horseback. :D

Jerry

Originally posted by keyman_sam:

Magnetic Rag by Scott Joplin

Funny to see Magnetic Rag mentioned. I forgot about that one, but it's one of my favorite of Joplin's Rags, along with many others like "the favorite", "Gladiolus rag", "Maple Leaf", and "Pinepple".

Chopin: Ballade #4 in F minor. I wish I could learn this; maybe in another life

Rach: Concerto #3 aka "Rach 3". I like the Martha Argerich live version.

Liszt: La Campenella

Alkan: Concerto for solo piano, Grand Sonata

many others too, I'll stop here.

I'm no expert on classical, and in fact I've listened to very little since I started growing horizontally instead of vertically.

But I've always really loved the main theme of Tchaikovsky's 6th (Pathetique). At different points in the piece it's hauntingly beautiful, romantic, dark and stormy, uplifting, and finally just flat out driving and martial.

I've always said that if Tchaikovsky was alive today, he'd be playing guitar for a metal band. :D

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Passacaglia in C minor-Bach

And from modern composers -Jean Michel Jarre-s earliest works(Oxygene,Equinoxe)and there are so many beautiful pieces from Vangelis so it would be really dishonest to select favorite amongst others.

I'll list the ones that I actually got down pretty good back in my hey day (which never really existed)...

Beethoven Sonata Pathetique Cm (all 3 movements) and moonlight (3rd movement)

Chopin etude E (whole thing, not just the 1st part) and etude in Ab (I think, the one with the beutiful melodic line on top of the arpeggios).

• 10 months later...

There are so many wonderful classical melodies that it would take me pages to try to list all my favorites. And the sad part is that there are so many I've never heard yet. I'll try an alphabetic top ten of them, one chef-d'oeuvre per composer.

Albinoni's Adagio in G minor. I have an old Russian interpretation of it that's taken with a lot more expression and this version is sooooo beautifully sad. That will be the piece played at my funeral. :)

Beethoven's Kreutzer's violin sonata, 1st movement. Even Bartók loved this piece and played it in concert with his fellow violinist.

G.P. De Palestrina's Sicut Cervus. I'm just beginning to discover the musical wonders of the Baroque era.

Grieg's The Death of Ase. I have a version by Bernstein where you can clearly feel "Ase's last breath" with the strings and subtle break of tempo. Wonderful rendering by the great conductor.

Haendel's Lascia Ch'io Pianga sung by Sarah Brightman simply lifts your heart every time.

Ligeti's Lux Aeterna, an escape to an unknown world.

Morricone's Once Upon A Time in the West, part II. I don't know who's that female singer on the original recording, but she always breaks my heart with her last variation on the theme.

Paganini's first movement of his 1st violin concerto, played my Midori. I saw her in a concert here and believe me, she really played like the devil himself. :freak:

Rachmaninov's Elegie in D# minor, taken slowly.

Sibelius' Valse Triste. Again here, it seems Berstein beats every version available with an exaggerated slow tempo at first and playing the tragic end even faster than what's specified on the score.

Hmm... well, most likely Nocturne Op 9, No 2. IMHO, one of the best pieces ever made.

In a distant 2nd place, perhaps Moonlight Sonata, or maybe even Bach's Prelude in C. Both quite simple, but most definately enjoyable.

Korg SP-500. Yep.

Negative Sam. I'm Arab. I was born in Canada, but my roots trace back to Morocco. My parents, and their parents and so forth are from Morocco, so I sort of broke the tradition. ;)
Korg SP-500. Yep.

Originally posted by mojazz:

...A Fala da Paixâo - Egberto Gismonti

This man is a superb composer of gorgeous music, who deserves much more attention that he gets. It's good to see people who appreciate him.
There's an explosive charge in my head. I'm gonna die if you don't kill me!

Originally posted by Jerry Aiyathurai:

What's your favorite classical melody or piece? Jerry

Hmmmm... Many "favorites". My top 5 probably are -

1. "Promenade" - Pictures at an Exhibition - Mussorgsky - main piece played at my wedding.

2. The entire "Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor", particularly as played by Artur Rubenstein and the Chicago Symphony, Fritz Reiner conducting.

3. Overture from "Creatures of Prometheus" - Beethoven

4. "Bartok's Concerto No. 3 for Piano and Orchestra", particularly as played by Gyorgy Sandor

5. "By Your Grace" - Gerry Mulligan - from "Gandharva" by Beaver and Krause - a bit of a stretch, but works for me!

There's an explosive charge in my head. I'm gonna die if you don't kill me!

I have played many classical pieces in my time, but have never found a piece to match the Russian composer Anton Rubinstein's Romance. I always come back to it when I want to really get into playing. It has such beauty and mood - almost haunting. I don't think that I'll ever get tired of playing it.

Here's another piece, which I don't quite think comes up to Romance, but is still one of my top favorites. Chopin said about his song, Etude in E Major, Opus 10, No. 3, "Never in my life have I been able to find again so beautiful a melody."

I also like to play Chopin's Nocturne in A Flat Major, Fantaisie-Improptu, Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# Minor. And I almost forgot about these last two: Saint-Saens Samson et Dalila (My Heart At Thy Sweet Voice) - And last, but not least, Mendelssohn's O Rest in the Lord, from "Elijah".

"Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are beautiful."

Archived