Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wrist tenses up playing boogie-woogie octaves . . .

shniggens

Wassabi,

I've been practicing, and pretty much have it down, Jelly Bean Boogie by Billy Taylor. For those that don't know the piece, the left hand does your typical boogie-woogie swung octaves up the chord to the 7th and back down again. This continues through the entire piece through all changes.

Now I can play it fine, but no matter what speed I play it, my wrist gets very tense, tight, and sore towards the end of the piece. What am I doing wrong?

Amateur Hack

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had this very problem. I got advice about not letting tension into your wrist. I've found that practicing for about 2 months strengthened the wrist to the point where I had enough strength so that the wrist did not tense up. It's not just a matter of avoiding tension, strength is necessary too.

same thing happens to me, not only wrist but forearm. I've often heard about not being tense but this has always seemed paradoxical to me. How do you play certain challenging passages without your muscles tensing up? I don't get it. Is there some kind of magical method that I've never clued into? Does it just come after you've reached a certain milestone in your performing ability?

The tension comes from having the unnatural open octave interval stretch between your 1st and 5th finger.

Don't play it from your wrist or with much muscle effort. Use a light touch like a butterfly or a feather.

To rock the octave, slightly rotate your whole hand and forearm together, sort of like a fluttering motion or a wobble. Use the weight of your whole arm to lightly drop into each note. Use your upper arm to travel and guide your hand/arm over the keys.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

Archived