Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joost van den Broek. What you think?

Daniel Buck

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a few cycles to burn so I headed over to the Sun Caged website and gave a listen.

Like most progressive bands, this band certainly doesn't lack for musicianship. It's tight and crisp even when attempting dizzyingly complex riffs. The feel is predominantly four to the bar hard rock with forays into hardcore progressive metal. I don't particularly like progressive metal myself, so I won't comment on the compositions, but I will say the band doesn't partake of the endless riff playing (what I like to call mindless musical masturbation) of bands like Dream Theater... at least not much. Still I can't help wondering what the band could achieve if they got rid of Roel Van Helden (who alone lists metal bands like Queensryche, Iron Maiden and the progressive metal band Dream Theater as his influences) and indulged their more progressive rock sensibilities. When they do they remind me of Rush and Kansas at times, two bands of which I'm a big fan.

As for Mr. Van den Broek, he can play oodilies with the best of them (including Jordan) and his use of backing pads and the like displays a modicum of the arranging skill required of keyboard players in this style, but I don't hear anything special here. His piano work is consigned to backing the quiet vocal parts in between heavy metal riffs. His parts fill the bill adequately even if they lack inspiration.

I notice the band is heading to Atlanta to play at the pre-party for ProgPower USA. I hope they'll get noticed there. They obviously work hard at their craft, and I'd like to see it rewarded.

Archived