Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

American Idol '04

daBowsa

Ok, I'll admit it - I watched this week's American Idol. Is this the first year they've had a live band?

The reason I posted was a Gear Spotting: in the rehearsal footage the keyboard player was using an RD700. I think there maybe have been a Triton in there too, but they're everywhere - I thought the Roland was an interesting spot, since a few of you use it in your rig.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd barely heard about this show prior to this year. Then I was over at my brother's house the first night of the season. Since he's a high school chorus teacher, he keeps up with the show. So he gets me to watch it and of course, now I'm hooked. It's kind of a cheesy reality-type show and I really don't watch any regular TV unless I just happen across something incidentally. I'd rather spend free time playing music or obsessing over gear on the internet. But I'll admit it. I do enjoy watching American Idol and I make sure not to miss any of the episodes.

I did spot the RD700 in the rig of the main keyboard guy...there is also another player with at least one if not two Tritons. They don't pan the camera on the band very often and the RD700 shots usually appear during the brief rehearsal scenes. They need to create a "Behind the Scenes" episode with full disclosure on the players and the gear. Perhaps Keyboard Magazine could do a cover story on American Idol keyboards and putting "American Idol" on the cover would surely sell some copy. Whaddya say, Ernie?! It would not be the first time a TV show graced the cover (X Files, Simpsons)...

It's amazing the counter-culture that has been created as a result of this show! Has anyone heard about William Hung??? What a surreal and entertaining story.

Regards,

Eric

[blush] I'm an American Idol fanatic! [/blush] Sad, isn't it? ;) I really enjoy pretending that I'm the fourth panel judge. I usually agree with Simon (my fellow Brit....)!

The keyboard player - both for the solo piano stuff last season and the band leader this season - is a fellow called Michael Orland. He's pretty good IMO - never heard him hit a wrong note on the show yet! His accompaniments are always spot on - nicely tempered and harmonized, supporting the artist and leading where necessary.

Article about Michael Orland

I've only ever seen shots of him on his RD-700. A couple of times, during the shots of him rehearsing with the idol contenders, he seems to have some kind of switch on the end of some wires in his left hand. Anyone know what it is? I have a hunch it's just a stop watch to time the songs...

Anyway, I gotta agree with you Eric, it'd be great to see his/the band's story in Keyboard. How about it Ernie?

Cheers,

:DTR

I was amused last night when Randy looked over at the band and said "I don't know what happened with that arrangement...what was up with that modulation?"

It was pretty whacky - I wonder if it was just because she wasn't singing a great transition note, or missed the new key. Also, I think the fact that the original version doesn't have the modulation made it hard to listen to.

Originally posted by dabowsa:

I was amused last night when Randy looked over at the band and said "I don't know what happened with that arrangement...what was up with that modulation?"

It was pretty whacky - I wonder if it was just because she wasn't singing a great transition note, or missed the new key. Also, I think the fact that the original version doesn't have the modulation made it hard to listen to.

Yeah, it just didn't seem like she was experienced enough to pull it off. Good voice, but it seemd like something that might have worked in rehearsals but not onstage. You kinda have to figure in nerves when performing on TV.

It seemed while they were singing I had in mind which singer would move on, but after they recapped the performances, it seemed like a very hard vote to cast...maybe one of the toughest semi's yet. Anyone have similar thoughts?

TROLL . . . ish.

I think the unfortunate part of the process is the way the groups are comprised. One week, they had nothing but stinkers, then the next almost all the performances were really good.

The folks from the stronger groups who don't move on may have easily done better in another group.

i haven't watched the show in years and just happened to catch it last night (honest)...it seems that the judges HATE eachother. The only comparable situation I can think of that shows this open level of contempt for eachother is those "reality shows." I mean Simon called Paula UGLY at one point, and told Seacrest ("seacrest OUT"....moron) that he's an idiot (in not so many words)...gotta admit, that simon was ALWAYS right. I just fail to see why the other two always stick up for bad performances?

Originally posted by Dave the Rave:

Originally posted by schmoron13:

(snip)...it seems that the judges HATE eachother. (snip)

IMO it's all an act. It keeps the viewers hooked - they keep watching to see what Simon/Paula/Randy/Ryan will say to each other next. I imagine they are all best friends really :)

You hit the nail Dave, you can just picture them all yucking it up cooking steaks on Simon's yacht.

BTW, help me out with what kind of rack that is in your photo in the studio pictures thread.

Also, before I forget, in your avatar.. What's that dangling between the..ahem..girls legs?

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Dave the Rave:

Yo Meccajay, I posted about the rack on the other thread :thu:

AFAIK, the girl is real and that's just a bit of dangly cloth. Kinda begs the question as to why it's needed though, doesn't it? Hmmmm??? :eek: I might have to get a new avatar now.....shiver....thanks for pointing that out!

Cheers,

No, don't go changin that avatar on my account, it's fine, I was just reaching...no sweat!
TROLL . . . ish.

I like watching Idol. I thought that the girl that sang "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" did a great job; sure, maybe the modulation was a bit shaky, but it wasn't all that bad.

I sure wish that Randy guy would drop all that "yo, dog" crap. What, is he trying to look cool to all the kids, or something? Come on, you're supposedly an executive of a record company, isn't it time to speak English? Half the time, I can't tell whether he liked something or thought it was terrible: "yo, dog, that was like, wow. I don't know what to say dude, you really something else with that, where did that come from, dude?" So, did he like it? I can't tell!!!! :)

At least Simon speaks his mind, clearly and articulately, agree with him or not, and most of the time I do.

Oh, by the way, there's one thing that really ticks me off. During the auditions in Hawaii, there was this one girl, I can't remember her name, or what song she did, but she sang her ass off, she was as good as or better than any of the other auditioners from Hawaii, and for some reason, they all voted her out. I really couldn't understand that. That girl was so confident she was going to get through, and with good reason, she was talented. So when she didn't make it, she was totally confused, and so was I. Anybody remember that?

Randy can speak however he likes....He's Randy Jackson...a musician, not Tony Blair or Colin Powell.

Randy speaks like Randy, Tom Cruise speaks like Tom Cruise, Oprah speaks like Oprah, and Snoop Dogg speaks like Snoop, and I can't type worth a shizzle.

Miles Davis didn't speak correct english. Miles was just fine being Miles.

I will say, Miles was pretty cool, Randy isn't really. That's fine too.

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by meccajay:

Randy can speak however he likes....He's Randy Jackson...a musician, not Tony Blair or Colin Powell.

Randy speaks like Randy, Tom Cruise speaks like Tom Cruise, Oprah speaks like Oprah, and Snoop Dogg speaks like Snoop, and I can't type worth a shizzle.

Miles Davis didn't speak correct english. Miles was just fine being Miles.

I will say, Miles was pretty cool, Randy isn't really. That's fine too.

Is he a musician? I've only seen him in this context, as someone who is supposed to be giving opinions on people's abilities. I think that requires you to be able to articulate your thoughts...

Randy's a pretty cool guy..."Yo dawg...I'm feelin' ya! Dude! That was aiighht."

He is actually an accomplished bass player. I cannot remember all the bands he has played with, but he toured and recorded with a number of pro acts. My brother gets Bass Player magazine and Randy has been featured in there before. I'll try to look up some info on Randy and see what his resume is like.

Regards,

Eric

You wont believe it when you find it... His resume is something I can only dream about.

*edit*

Here's something I found on another board about all 3 judges, looks like it's from a Fox TV, but Im not sure of the source.

RANDY JACKSON

Randy Jackson, a Grammy Award winning producer, is a twenty-year music industry veteran. For eight years, he was the V.P. of A&R at Columbia Records followed by four years as Senior V.P. of A&R at MCA Records.

Randy has recorded, toured and performed with the likes of Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, *NSYNC, Madonna, Elton John, Destiny's Child and many more. Randy has worked on over one thousand gold and multi-platinum albums. His contributions have helped to sell over 200 million albums worldwide.

SIMON COWELL

Simon Cowells music career is now infamous having, over the past 20 years, shaped what we consider to be modern pop music today. In the last 10 years, Simon, a BMG Record Executive, has been making and breaking records. Cowell has achieved sales of over 25 million albums, over 70 top 30 records and 17 number 1 singles.

Simon became a celebrity in his own right for reducing a string of teenage wannabes to tears while serving as a judge on the UK version of the show, "Pop Idol."

PAULA ABDUL

Equally recognized, awarded and celebrated in front of the camera as well as behind the camera, Paula Abduls extraordinary music career is exemplified by worldwide album sales exceeding 30 million records and numerous awards including The Grammy, Emmy, MTV Awards and others.

Paula has also been honored with her very own Star on Hollywood Boulevard, and was inducted into Nickelodeons Kids Choice Hall of Fame.

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by meccajay:

Simon Cowells music career is now infamous having, over the past 20 years, shaped what we consider to be modern pop music today.

Ah, so now we know who to blame.

-Chris

Randy has been one of my favourite bassist and one of my greatest influences on that instrument.

I know of him from Narada Michael Walden and all his productions for about a 10-12 year period. Also he played with Journey for a short spell.

For me it is actually disappointing to see him judging American idol.

richard sven

sound sculptist

Originally posted by zvenx:

Randy has been one of my favourite bassist and one of my greatest influences on that instrument.

I know of him from Narada Michael Walden and all his productions for about a 10-12 year period. Also he played with Journey for a short spell.

For me it is actually disappointing to see him judging American idol.

I agree, he's one of those cats you dont realize you've been listening to for the last 15 years, then you notice the more you look at your collection the more you see he's a major part of it.

I have an old Jean-Luc Ponty album where Randy's just burnin on the bass.

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived