Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Keyboard Innovations and Goofy Ideas

Saint Johnny B

Originally posted by DafDuc:

32 notes on the pedalboard - full size slat-style peds - fully AGO compliant.

A boy can dream, can't he???

Daf

32 note midi pedalboard

Yes, it is available, but at a price...

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dasher:

That's sort of my other 'dream' board - a breath controller attached to a melodica-style midi unit, to play my VL70m like the wind synth would (in other words, a wind synth with piano-style keyboard, preferably with the pitch ribbon for 'natural' vibrato...

Dasher

Dasher - I think this is a hell of an idea. I second it totally! The embochure could sense both air and lip pressure, like in 'real' wind controllers (WX5,etc.), and you could be able to assign each one to different parameters (of an analog synth, for example...).

I want one! :D

I've always wanted to see a synth/keyboard that allowed side to side motion of the keys that would induce vibrato. I think it would be a more "intimate" way to control it, if it was set to be directly proportional to the speed and depth of side to side movement.

Going a step beyond, I've always thought it was limiting of keyboard based synthesizers to always have each key sound perfectly in tune. I know there are some synths that allow a random tuning offset for each key press, but I think it would be great to have the tuning vary slightly (in a static way) depending on where your finger fell on each key.

I think these two aspects of pitch control could go a long way in helping synths to sound more alive. When listening to guitar or other acoustic instrument based music, I am often reminded of how slight tuning discrepancies can make the overall sound more interesting.

...and to Bob Moog...if you're reading this, I'd love to be hired by you as a consultant (or beta tester) for your next synth design! ;-)

Originally posted by coyote:

What I'd like is a module dedicated to grand piano, Rhodes/Wurly, and Clavinet. Do those things extraordinarily well for a reasonable price and it would be better than all these "kitchen sink" devices. Take the old Alesis NanoPiano, for instance. It should never have had organ or synth or bass sounds on it. Just imagine that little thing, with all its memory devoted to a few great sounds instead of distributed among a bunch of mediocre sounds....

Nice. But that's not what I mean. I'd like to see some completely new instruments, not just nice recreations of the good old pieces. The only good piano emulation I've played is a Yamaha C3 or Steinway D grand. Now there's a musical instrument for you. But hey, piano is 300yrs old. Rhodes/Clav/Hammond etc. are like 50yrs old. I don't even know how old the violin is.. And today we have all this technology. Is it really so hard to make new instruments ??? Not just some pieces of plastic that you can drool after 'cause of everything it promises to do...

Sad that the trends are what they are. :(

How about:

1) an animatronic drummer figure that drums at the correct tempo, as controlled by your keyboard....

2) A master remote volume controller on the keyboard for overly-loud guitarists....

3) An "auto-pilot" animatronic keyboard figure to play boring background parts while you go to the bar and get a drink!

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

About the loud guitar player, by making all the stage feeds go through a combo keyboard/digital mixer not only could you get multiple simulateous headphone/in-ear monitor mixes for the talent, but you may have a chance at getting the guitar player's volume a little under under control. And, a combo keyboard/digital mixer could give every player what they wanted to hear on a consistent basis from song-to-song and from show-to-show.

I've always wanted to see a synth/keyboard that allowed side to side motion of the keys that would induce vibrato
Yamaha YC-45D did this, but was pre-midi.

Dasher

Wow, the YC-45D looks a bit like the CS80. Well, the knobs do anyway. :) Have you ever played one before Dasher (or anyone for that matter)? How did the vibrato work out?

Here's a pic of it:

http://www.combo-organ.com/Yamaha/YC-45D.jpg

Marino, I just noted your response. This cincept is perfectly manufacturable, the problem I have anticipated is how to hold it and still play piano-style keys. If you have one hand 'free' to move on the keybaord, aand the other able to pitch bend etc., there's nothing left to support the instrument - it would need either a neck strap/belt harness arrangement or a LOT of helium! ;)

But if we could get enough people together to get a custom buil;der interested, start with a WX5 or 7 as the wind control, replace the key matric with a Roland portable, those two together would make a hell of a cool controller...

Anybody willing to buy into this? Probably cost about a grand to put one together, if the right builder could be located.

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

Odyssian, just saw your post. Yes, that's the beast, and yes, I did play on one (couldn't afford it, but spent MANY hours at the local piano and organ store in Berkeley that carried it. The owner even let me borrow it one night for a gig (he came along "just to see how well it worked") and I had a great time. As I remember, the tone cut beautifully through our (jazz) guitar and wild (Bert Wilson, look him up) sax playing. The B3 'emulation' was not at all accurate, but as a basic synth/organ keyboard, it was expressive as hell. Bend a key left or right, one 'vibrat.' Do it slow, get it slow.

Presets were minimal, but helpful. If I could find one on ebay in good condition for a reasonable price, I'd jump on it, but when I've seen them, they were STILL more than I'm willing to pay, especially without midi.

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

Marino, I just noted your response. This cincept is perfectly manufacturable, the problem I have anticipated is how to hold it and still play piano-style keys. If you have one hand 'free' to move on the keybaord, aand the other able to pitch bend etc., there's nothing left to support the instrument - it would need either a neck strap/belt harness arrangement or a LOT of helium! ;)

Noooo.... I think it would perfectly doable. :D For example - my melodica has a handle on the lower side. I would just put the pitch-bend wheel there, in a viable spot for the thumb, while the other four fingers (in the handle) support the instrument - et voilà. No modulation wheel, maybe, but it could be substituted with aftertouch... :D

But if we could get enough people together to get a custom buil;der interested, start with a WX5 or 7 as the wind control, replace the key matric with a Roland portable, those two together would make a hell of a cool controller...

Anybody willing to buy into this? Probably cost about a grand to put one together, if the right builder could be located.

This is what I'm talking about, more or less - but I really don't have the time to tackle it myself.

Anyone? Maybe you could even sell the project to Akai and make a little money... :D:D

Odyssian, just saw your post. Yes, that's the beast, and yes, I did play on one (couldn't afford it, but spent MANY hours at the local piano and organ store in Berkeley that carried it. .

(snip)

Cool... thanks for the info Dasher!

Archived