Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Glen Miller - In The Mood . . . for piano?

shniggens

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by shniggens:

Anyone ever play, or have a transcription of Glen Miller's "In the Mood" for piano?

My fiance loves that song, so I want to suprise her by playing it on the piano.

I had the original conductor's/piano reduction, but I can't find it. I think it might have gotten thrown out. I 'borrowed' my copy from the band I was in and never ... returned it. If you ever locate a copy, I'd love to have a copy.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

sheetmusicdirect.com has In The Mood and it lets you print the first page for free. Page one shows the intro and the first 4 bars of the verse. The left hand part is too square so I would make up my own left hand part. I would play the Intro in octave unisons. I would play walking bass in the style of Oscar Peterson at the verse. I think I will add it to my repetoire, almost nobody does it anymore.

http://www.sheetmusicdirect.com/index.ihtml

For the Intro, I play an open 5th for the C chord(a la Monk) down low, then I play the D7 also as a a low open 5th and the G7 (as written) as an open 7th in Bud Powell claw style, but I think the D7 and the G7 are played short not held. Any sort of walking bass will work for the verse.

I have a CD somebody gave me that has 12 fake books on t with an index and sure enough "In The Mood" is in there in Bb.

Glen Miller played it in the key of Ab. I will stick with Bb since I play so many choruses of Rhythm Changes in Bb. After the intro there are two choruses of 12 bar blues, then the next section is like the A section of I Got Rhythm. Listen to the original recording for all the nice rhythmical "kicks"

Originally posted by shniggens:

Anyone ever play, or have a transcription of Glen Miller's "In the Mood" for piano?

My fiance loves that song, so I want to suprise her by playing it on the piano.

I've got a full-blown (big band arrangement) .MID of that. If you want, I'll e-mail it to you, and you can pull out a workable copy.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived