Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How high?

shniggens

NO, not narcotics related. :D

My new improved studio setup may not be as improved as I had hoped.

The KK audio desk I bought holds my Alesis at a height a little higher than I am used to playing. When I sit to play, with my chair at full height, my hands are probably about 3-4 inches above my elbows.

I manage to play normally, with no noticeable pain increase. I have to admit, though, it does feel a little wierd. Especially compared to my acoustic piano (where I practice mostly), where my forearms are pretty much parallel to the floor.

My qeustion is to you masters of technique and instructors (que Dave Horn). If I continue to play this way, will it cause any long term physical damage in the future? What would be the maximum height you would play at while sitting down?

Cheers.

Amateur Hack

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by shniggens:

NO, not narcotics related. :D

My new improved studio setup may not be as improved as I had hoped.

The KK audio desk I bought holds my Alesis at a height a little higher than I am used to playing. When I sit to play, with my chair at full height, my hands are probably about 3-4 inches above my elbows.

I manage to play normally, with no noticeable pain increase. I have to admit, though, it does feel a little wierd. Especially compared to my acoustic piano (where I practice mostly), where my forearms are pretty much parallel to the floor.

My qeustion is to you masters of technique and instructors (que Dave Horn). If I continue to play this way, will it cause any long term physical damage in the future? What would be the maximum height you would play at while sitting down?

Cheers.

It could. If you are playing with bent wrists as a result, or if you are having to hold yourself in an unnatural position. The fact that it feels weird is somewhat of an indication that there may be a problem. Only somewhat because if you had grown used to playing in a bad posture, correcting it would also feel weird at first. So I am assuming that your posture at the real piano is in fact good.

How high is your chair at max height? Even if you get your arms in the right place, sitting too high can affect the back. The best solution might be to nail some plywood to some 2x4s or even 2x6s to raise yourself up. Just make sure you can't go off the thing backwards while seated. That would almost certainly lead to physical damage.

If you play this way a lot, you'll be the Tendonitis posterboy (or worse). I just readjusted my entire studio for this very reason. I can't believe that manufacturers of studio equipment haven't thought of this. Even the Omnirax stuff that they advertise with a Triton ProX in the picture is too high for a Triton.

"For instance" is not proof.

I'm going through the same thing now with two keyboards stacked on top on the B3. Even with a stool and the top keyboard (Ion) sloped forward, it's a hell of a stretch. I find I'm not doing much with the Ion because it's so far up. I've decided to rearrange my house so I can bring the two keyboards down to the same level as the B3. I'll be turning the dining room into a studio.

Hell, what do I need a dining room for anyway? I haven't eaten in it since June. Ah, the joys(!??) of being single. :D

Archived