Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI interface Delay...

Frayo

What is it that causes the Delay between my MIDI synth and my computer?

I have a M-Audio Midiman 1x1 MIDI interface, triggered with a Yamaha DX-7. For some reason, when I play, there is a slight delay with ALL my demo software synths. Is this because they are demos or is there something wrong with my MIDI interface? How do I cchange this delay (the Delay in the software synth panel is set to 0)

"When all you have is a hammer, everything else starts to look like a nail"

AIM: RaiyoKun

EMAIL: frayo@earthlink.net

www.livejournal.com/users/frayo

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There should be a setting on your sound card control panel or within your sequencer that host your VST instruments where you can adjust the latency. Latency is the delay given to the computer to create and process the sound. The lower the latency, the more likely you are to have pops and clicks in your audio. If you tell us what sound card you are using someone might be a bit more specific on how to adjust the latency. Are your playing your synths in stand alone mode or using a sequencer as host?

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

It's not the MIDI. As stated above it's latency caused by the soundcard's buffer settings. Being that your soundcard seems to be the one built in your laptop, you're going to have a hard time getting the performance that you're after.

Maybe someone might have a good inexpensive option for you.

I will guess that the sound card is not going to give you quick enough latency. Even though the laptop provided to me by my day job is a P4 with 528 meg of RAM, the sound card could not process fast enough for live playing. The cheapest solution I found was an Echo Indigo type 2 card. It does not have many features, but it was cheap and has what I need.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived