Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audio tracking question . . .

shniggens

Probably a simple problem to resolve, but I cannot find any remedial topics covered in the Cubase SX manual.

I prefer to record clips of audio one at a time on a single track (ie - intro, verse, chorus, etc). So the intro is a seperate audio part than the verse, etc.

How do I smooth out the breaks between the parts? When I play the track straight through, there are noticable breaks in between the parts, even though they are sequential in respect to time.

Does my question make sense?

Amateur Hack

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I thought that that would have something to do with it! :thu:

I'll dig through the manual some more, thanks!

Now, can I just put the cursor between clips, and hit the X for crossfade - will that crossfade between the two automatically?

Amateur Hack

How about recording your takes straight through (so as not to interupt your flow) ? Then you can cut n' paste the parts of the song to individual audio tracks as needed. That will give you the added bonus of having a separate channel to eq, compress and what not.

In DP you can simpy highlight the regions you wish to crossfade - probably cubase works in a similar fashion.

Originally posted by astor*:

How about recording your takes straight through (so as not to interupt your flow) ? .

I get nervous when I record. I'm only able to pull off little sections at a time perfectly.

So here's how my latest project is working. Maybe this will clarify a little of what I am trying to achieve.

I have recorded a piano intro (~ 8 bars long), than I stop it. I cut off the residual silence or sustain that exceeded the last bar that I wanted to record. Then I start to record the next section from that point. I repeat the process for the next part, and the next par, etc. So even though the audio parts are sequential, there is still an audible *pop* between parts, even if the timing is right on.

Should I not cut the residual off of the preceeding take? Should I try to overlap takes?

Amateur Hack

I have recorded a piano intro (~ 8 bars long), than I stop it. I cut off the residual silence or sustain that exceeded the last bar that I wanted to record. Then I start to record the next section from that point. I repeat the process for the next part, and the next par, etc. So even though the audio parts are sequential, there is still an audible *pop* between parts, even if the timing is right on.

Should I not cut the residual off of the preceeding take? Should I try to overlap takes?

I would record the eight bars on a single track and leave a few measures after the silence. Don't trim anything!

Then, I'd line up a new audio track for the chorus and then bridge. I'd leave some breathing room at the intro and outro points until your perfect take.

So now you have three tracks for verse, chorus, bridge. Cut out the sound waves (still leaving space at either end) and move to one track (which I believe is your preference). Now, listen to the continous song and trim/stretch/modify - slowly - according to your ears, not the look of the waveforms.

If after this there are still audible pops, I would highlight the affected region and fade for equal power or independanly as the song warrants. Sometimes, just eq can eliminate pops, too.

Archived