Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

do you own an XTK and PPG soft?

mildbill

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Microwave XTII/XTk has a slightly more powerful voice architecture - more filter types, more oscillator options, etc - than the plug-in. It is essentially an update of an update of the PPG Wave. (...which the Wave 2.v plug-in is based on.) The XTk will give you a wider variety of sounds, but the basic character will be very similar to the plug-in. If you aren't happy with the plug-in, you probably won't be happy with the XTk either.

May I ask what you don't like about the Wave 2.v? What kind of sound are you looking for?

I think both of these synths sound great, but they have a very distinct, idiosyncratic sound. They aren't "virtual analogs", nor are very good at emulating other synths. Conversely, they are capable of making sounds that are pretty much impossible to reproduce on other instruments.

mildbill said:

i also have the PPG softsynth and it's not one of my favorites.

Agreed.

Anoplura said:

The XTk will give you a wider variety of sounds, but the basic character will be very similar to the plug-in. If you aren't happy with the plug-in, you probably won't be happy with the XTk either.

This sounds logical, but has not been my experience whatsoever.

I find the PPG Wave 2.V to be fairly limp...I did not care for it at all.

That said, I love my Waldorf MicroWave XTk to death when it comes to the character of sound. If all else is equal, I guess the greater number and type of waves, many different filters, expanded architecture and modulation matrix really do make a huge difference in the end results.

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

ana: it's not that i really don't like the PPG, it's just more like aeon said - it seems a little wimpy to me. hard to get anything rough-edged out of it. (not that it's always needed).

i also have the micro-q and it has regular oscillators and 2 wavetables, but i haven't got a chance to play around with them that much.

what attracts me to the xtk is that its keyboard has release velocity and i generally like waldorf's architecture - they give a good supply of lfo's, envelopes with great features and a decent supply of filter types.

that reminds me, i forgot to ask - the micro-q has some really great 'comb filters'. does the XT series have these also?

Archived