Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do sub-oscillators do?

Veracohr

I was reading through the Andromeda thread and in the feature set of the synth was listed " X VCOs with sub oscillators..." or some such thing. I've seen specs for synthesizers many times saying the oscillators have sub-oscillators. What exactly do these mystical things do?

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

generally, they are oscs that track one octave below the main osc with which they are associated and could be blended in at a varying amplitude, but this can vary per synth.

due to the nature of analog circuit design, it was often easy and inexpensive to generate such a wave in the form of a square or a triangle, but again, this can vary per synth, and of course with digital designs, nearly anything can be had.

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

In the 11th century, there was a country (in what is now southern Europe) called Synthia, ruled by King Oscil the 1st. His twin sons Saw and Pulse ruled jointly after King Oscil died. There were many who did not like the sons and dubbed them "Oscil-laters", as they followed the late king.

A particularly rebellious group calling themselves the "Sub-Oscillators" tried to assassinate the twins but were ultimately defeated by Lord Philter of Fourpole in 1266.

Archived