Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for english speaking folks here...

mooghead

Hi guys I need your help.

There's a sentence in a Ray Charles song:

"bend over, let me see and shake your tailfeather".

Tailfeather...is it what I think or I am only misled by "bend over"?

I know I should have asked somewhere else...but you're all so nice people...

Ciao!!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mooghead:

Hi guys I need your help.

There's a sentence in a Ray Charles song:

"bend over, let me see and shake your tailfeather".

Tailfeather...is it what I think or I am only misled by "bend over"?

I know I should have asked somewhere else...but you're all so nice people...

Ciao!!

----------------

What are you talking about?

It's pretty obvious! He's asking the lady to dance, strut, twist, flirt... the stuff they've been doing for millions and millions of years! The stuff that gets us guys in trouble and headed down that wedding aisle!

"BEND OVER, LET ME SEE YOU SHAKE A TAILFEATHER!"

(not AND shake your tailfeather)...

OK folks, help me out here... How many different ways can you come up with to explain to this guy (from Italy, no less - I thought they INVENTED the language of LOVE in Italy!!) what it means to SHAKE A TAILFEATHER!???

Mooghead, you must be a pretty young dude. Don't you remember that the 50's and 60's were "innocent" times in the US of A? Don't even THINK about anything more complex than what it is... boy meets girl, girl shakes a tailfeather, they fall in love, get married, buy a house in the suburbs with a white picket fence, have a couple of kids and live happily ever after! ;) Don't you ever watch Ozzie and Harriet over there??

Sheeesh!

Tom (Old fart who actually LIVED back in the 50's and 60's!)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

If you equate girls to "chicks" then it becomes apparent, that instead of "shake your ass" you could bypass the censors and say "shake your tailfeathers." If you didn't want to say "your" and pluralize "tailfeathers" it reduces to "shake a tailfeather."

There's actually some studies that show the behavior patterns of humans seeking a mate is quite similar to that of birds. Females keep shoulders back and chins up, like a bird showing its breast markings. Or something like that. :thu:

Yeah, it was pretty obvious but I needed to be sure...there's a kind of bet with a friend of mine about that meaning, and I was right.

Thank you about our invention of the language of love...

Bye guys,

Andrea.

Archived