Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quality Clav & Piano VST?

daBowsa

Ok, so I've got B4, Lounge Lizard is on the way, and I'll probably pick up a copy of Pro-53 pretty soon (any other competitors worth looking into).

I'm looking for another 1 (preferably) or 2 VST Instruments to cover clavinet and piano. I don't want to run giga because my laptop has a slow hard driver...any suggestions?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dabowsa:

Ok, so I've got B4, Lounge Lizard is on the way, and I'll probably pick up a copy of Pro-53 pretty soon (any other competitors worth looking into).

I'm looking for another 1 (preferably) or 2 VST Instruments to cover clavinet and piano. I don't want to run giga because my laptop has a slow hard driver...any suggestions?

You might want to take a look at Pentagon 1, the oddity and the Moog Modular VST while you are at it :D

which DAW are you using? I know that the Clavinet that Emagic made is supposedly pristine....Keyboard mag was raving about it...as for piano, I dunno, maybe "the Grand?" I havn't tried it, but I hear it's stellar, though a real HD hog

I'm just using Cakewalk, but that isn't my focus - this is for my live rig.

I gigastudio has the best pianos, right? If the sample is small enough can you get away with a slow hard drive?

I played the Electro for the first time last week, and believe it or not, my favorite sound was the clav. It made me crave a nice VSTi clav similar to the Lounge Lizard - does no one make one?

For a vst Piano i would guess Steinberg the Grand. But it does take pretty much ram, so 512mb atleast. But if our laptop has a slow drive that may influence the Grand as well. And it takes 1.8 gig harddisc space..........

I checked out TickyClav - nice! Oddity and Pentagon1 also seem very sweet. I didn't know there were so many quality FREE VSTi's out there!

The only piano I was able to demo was mdaPiano - pretty weak. I'd be willing to pay $50-150 for a great piano VSTi. I don't need concert quality - just rock band quality. Something that cuts through, but doesn't sound like crap on the balads.

Oddity and Pentagon1 are not free but are very nice. Pentagon I set the standard on MIDI control and there was a review in Keyboard Player a few months ago. The person that makes Ticki Clav also makes a very nice FM electric piano that matches up well with Lounge Lizard. It is not free but it is under $50 and gives you those ep sounds that LL does not have.

There is a nice SounfFont piano on the web but I forget the name. It is pretty large. Maybe over 100 meg. If your laptop will handle SampleTakeLE then check out the piano eROM from Sonic Reality. It is probably the best piano you will find without moving up the the size of The Grand or GigaStudio.

Others to check.

Muon TauPro

Mtron

Vaz 2010, Modular or the other little light synth. (Vaz does the Arp sound better than anyone IMHO.)

Also, poke around KVR-VST for more information on VSTi's.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived