Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

B4 & Lounge Lizard - same laptop for live gig?

daBowsa

I have neither B4 nor Lounge Lizard, and have no idea how they perform...but for the quality of sound and price, the hastle (and risk) of setting up a laptop at a gig almost seems worth it.

My question is, can they be run simultaneously as performance machines? Can I hold down a chord on one MIDI channel to control the B4 and play a lick on a seperate channel to control the LoungeLizard, with close to zero latency, and constant (no drops!) volume? On a laptop?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure you can. You just need to get a VST host program (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND CHAINER !) and use the VSTi versions of B4 and Lounge Lizard. Each will receive midi input on whatever channel you assign, and then and you can either route the audio to one set of outputs or, if you have a multi-channel soundcard, to separate outputs.

The only issue is what soundcard. With laptops, most people go with USB systems. I don't know what kind of latency they provide. For playability, I believe latency really needs to be under 10 ms, which I have no problem achieving on a modest PC.

Also, if you're not looking to rig this up immediately, you might want to hold off on the laptop and take a good look at eKo

If this is still kind of greek to you (as it was to me not long ago) hang on and wait for some others to respond to this thread. I'll just close by saying that with the right host software (Chainer!) using VSTis is incredibly easy and transparent.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Sweet - this might be doable! I'm looking at picking up a PIII 650Mhz lapton with 256MB of RAM and a USB port. Looks like the Midiman Quattro USB is the way to go, but at $260 is there anything less expensive that'll do the job?

Also, if I was going to pick up a control surface (Evolution UC-16 or -33, Tascam USB-428, EzBus, any recomendations?) would I be able to say, click one button (on the controller) and all the knobs and sliders would affect B4, click a different button and all knobs and sliders control Lounge Lizard, etc. OR would I have to know that these knobs control B4 and these control Lounge Lizard and do the MIDI mappings accordingly?

Ok, so my laptop is on the way...

I've abandoned all aspirations for S80, QS6.1, V5, KBR-M rig and will now focus on my QS6.1, A-33, B4, Lounge Lizard rig.

So only 2 things left to buy - a USB audio interface, and some sort of MIDI drawbar/control surface.

The USB interface should come first, because I can get by on presets for a little while...so which one should I get? Any suggestions?

Archived