Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hardware Vs Software soudn modules?

Dr Teeth

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you are not going to miss the editing, Sonic Synth (which runs on the Sampletank engine) beats the pants, in terms of raw quality, off of any hardware module I have tried (That would include the XV, JV, and Proteus series). I do miss the layering, but since I do everything in a sequencer, I can work around that.

I own both the P2K and SonicSynth. SonicSynth sounds better. P2K is a bit easier to control and mix. SonicSynth has better patches. P2K has more patches and you can create your own patches. SonicSynth is around the same price as a single expansion ROM for the P2K. There are a LOT of ROM's to choose from for the P2K so you can make most any type of music with it.

I'm looking forward to the new SonicStation. It is sort of an expansion of the SonicSynth sample collection that you can load into most software samplers. Once I load it into Kontakt then I can create my own presets and have more control over effects and how things will sit in the mix.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I have not tried XL extensively, but I think the general consensus is that the Sonic Synth patches are much more usable, and since they form the foundation of my music, I would agree. When I tried XL it just didn't jump out at me, the way Sonic Synth did, although that is a vast library and certainly has usable sounds.

prog

Archived