Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good techno drum sounds?

Veracohr

I tried searching this forum, but couldn't find what I wanted. Can anyone suggest a good module for techno drums? This would be mostly for trance; for other techno styles I feel I'm pretty much covered. I want something with lots of flexibility in creating drum sounds, especially kick drums sounds. I have an Emu Orbit V2, which has a nice range of sounds, but I want more depth now than range.

In general, do the common VAs have good potential for creating 808/909 drums sounds, or do they cater more to pads, leads and basses? I am going to get one eventually, and if I can get good drum sounds with lots of control out of it, I won't bother getting a separate drum module. I read about the Jomox analog boxes, haven't heard them, but either way I don't think I could justify $1100 just for a drum module.

"And then you have these thoughts in the back of your mind like 'Why am I doing this? Or is this a figment of my imagination?'"

http://www.veracohr.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think most modules would have good drum sounds ala 808 and 909. Rebirth has softsynth versions of the 808 & 909 as its main drum sections.

I know that E-MU's Proteus 2000/2500, Xlead, Techno Synth, and Mo Phatt modules have some tremendous drum & bass sounds (have a Proteus 2000 myself).

You can also go for a used Novation Drum Station, which is very big nowadays. You may also want to consider the Korg Electribe R, which is mostly drums & percussion (I thought it was very nice at $270). You also can look into Reason - I guess it has some killer sounds (don't have it) also. I would also think that good VA like the Virus, Supernova, and Nordlead would have killer techno drums - although they run at least $1,500.

Live 6, Battery 3, Project 5, Atmosphere, Albino 2, Minimoog V, Oddity, Nord 2X, Proteus 2K

***I can't play for sh*t, but I can sequence like a muthaf*ck*r***

Archived