Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Arranging inspiration/ideas.

shniggens

I'm playing for a friends wedding next month and to make a long story short - I have opted to play Schumann's Important Event after the vows have been recited and the couple kisses instead of playing the traditional wedding march. My friend likes that song and he picked it (I gave him some options), but he requested that I break into a fast boogie woogie as they are exiting the building/room (whatever . . . you can tell I don't attend many weddings :D ).

Now I am only really comfortable playing boogie in C. Important event ends in A and it is also in 2/4 time. How can I make a transition like this? What chords can I use to slowly modulate to A to C. I would like to build tension and then release to the boogie. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .

:cool:

Amateur Hack

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, that's gonna be a lot of fun! :)

Here are a few turnarounds for modulating from A to C:

(E7)

A - A7 - D7 - G7

A - A7 - Ab7 - G7

A - Bb dim. - G/B bass - G7

A - A7 - Dm - Db7

A - B - C# - G

A - Abm7b5 - Db7 - G

A - Ab dim. - G7

A - Am - F - G

A - F#m - D - Db

all leading to C of course. Since it's going to prepare a big change, I would stay on each chord for a couple of measures if the situation permits.

Also don't forget the chance to modulate abruptly - no preparation! If you do it decidely and in time, it could work!

I don't have the music of "Important Event" in front of me, but I seem to remember that it's mainly chords in the right hand and octaves in the left. So maybe you could "prepare" the boogie by playing the last bits differently - for example, playing the chords in a broken fashion, syncopate something, and otherwise "rhythmicize" it! Is that too perverse to do at a wedding... :D

Well, I guess it depends on how conservative your friends are... :)

Enjoy it!

Originally posted by marino:

Hey, that's gonna be a lot of fun! :)

Here are a few turnarounds for modulating from A to C:

(E7)

A - A7 - D7 - G7

A - A7 - Ab7 - G7

A - Bb dim. - G/B bass - G7

A - A7 - Dm - Db7

A - B - C# - G

A - Abm7b5 - Db7 - G

A - Ab dim. - G7

A - Am - F - G

A - F#m - D - Db

all leading to C of course. Since it's going to prepare a big change, I would stay on each chord for a couple of measures if the situation permits.

Also don't forget the chance to modulate abruptly - no preparation! If you do it decidely and in time, it could work!

I don't have the music of "Important Event" in front of me, but I seem to remember that it's mainly chords in the right hand and octaves in the left. So maybe you could "prepare" the boogie by playing the last bits differently - for example, playing the chords in a broken fashion, syncopate something, and otherwise "rhythmicize" it! Is that too perverse to do at a wedding... :D

Well, I guess it depends on how conservative your friends are... :)

Enjoy it!

Hey, thanks Marino. :thu: Great ideas, I will give them all a try. You're right about the Schumman piece, it is chords and octaves together in the same rhythm . . . mostly. I'm trying to mess around with it in towards the end, but it's tricky. I may just play it straight through and then start slowly going from straight time to shuffle through the modulation.

Nothing is too perverse for my friends' wedding. ;)

Amateur Hack

Archived