Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mixerman and BitchSlapSessions

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually got very bored with the whole Mixerman diaries thing pretty quick. Yeah it was funny and we have all been in similar situations, but to me it kind of shows you why this biz is so screwed. Bad artists, indifferent labels and producers, and technicians who hold the whole process in contempt. How the hell could any good music get made under such circumstances? Real or imagined I would rather read one of Nika's papers than waste my time on the chronicles of ineptitude.' Just my opinion.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote]Originally posted by Jotown: [b] Bad artists, indifferent labels and producers, and technicians who hold the whole process in contempt. How the hell could any good music get made under such circumstances? Just my opinion.[/b][/quote]Yeah, well now you know why the industry is in a tailspin. This kind of shit goes on everyday. Esepcially L.A., where these types tend to live.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Agreed JoTown. To be sure, MM's diaries can be funny and are entertaining to read. But, having a pissy attitude toward a session is, to me, taking the 'low road'. Let's face it, anyone can find the negatives in any situation if looking for it. I think the diaries would be more *enlightening* if MM gave solutions to his studio dilemmas rather than criticisms and insults. People may say 'well, thats why MM calles them *diaries*. Excuse me, but once they go 'public' they are no longer personal *diaries*. Just my 1 cent. (it's not worth 2) Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

It all rattles around that word that people in the music biz do not like to talk about. Ethics. To me, if I hate your music, think you are a talentless idiot, and don't even like you as a person one tiny bit, it is unethical for me to take your money. For those of us who make are living in this cesspool, that is a hard stance to take. The fact is that you cannot do justice to a client, or even a truly good job for them if you think that they suck. Yet that is the position we put ourselves in every day. What a way to make a buck.

I have this similar type debate with my brother, who is an attorney. He defends people he knows damn well are guilty. Me, I couldn't do it, I'd turn them away. But, he says 'everyone has the right to legal council' and I agree with that. same goes for the recording biz & their clients. If the studio accepts a job to record/mix/master and both parties 'sign on the dotted line', the studio is obligated to do the best they can do, regardless of their personal feelings towards the client. It's called being a professional.
In two days, it won't matter.

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]I have this similar type debate with my brother, who is an attorney. He defends people he knows damn well are guilty. Me, I couldn't do it, I'd turn them away. But, he says 'everyone has the right to legal council' and I agree with that. same goes for the recording biz & their clients. If the studio accepts a job to record/mix/master and both parties 'sign on the dotted line', the studio is obligated to do the best they can do, regardless of their personal feelings towards the client. It's called being a professional.[/b][/quote]Maybe, but music isn't law, and there are different kinds of attorneys, from ambulance chasers to those fighting for the enviroment. Music is supposed to be about soul, feeling and meaning. If you detest something musical you cannot by definition find any soul, feeling or meaning in it. So how are we supposed to do a [b]"professionsal"[/b] job. It is my contention that we can't. So to me if we take someones money when we hate their music or talent we are at the very best being professional in an ambulance chasing kind of way. Just my opinion.

You guys are more pro than me. I'm just a bass player who dabbles :D I do find MM very funny and entertaining.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

I take MM's diares more as venting. I dont think he has a bad attitude while he's working any more than someone at "the factory" does. When they get home they vent to their wives about their day. In MM's case he vents to the entire internet. And I find it very entertaining. And being someone who's never worked in a "big" studio or on a "big" project, Ive still gotten some tips from reading it.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Eric is a frustrated and bitter low level recording engineer. His "big" claim to fame is recording some of the latest flop from Lifehouse, "Stanley Chartfall". Wow. #147 with an anchor this week. My guess is he'll be out of the studio biz in the next year or two and back to writing articles for ProSound News full time.

[quote]Originally posted by Jotown: [b]It all rattles around that word that people in the music biz do not like to talk about. Ethics. To me, if I hate your music, think you are a talentless idiot, and don't even like you as a person one tiny bit, it is unethical for me to take your money. For those of us who make are living in this cesspool, that is a hard stance to take. The fact is that you cannot do justice to a client, or even a truly good job for them if you think that they suck. Yet that is the position we put ourselves in every day. What a way to make a buck.[/b][/quote]Hear Hear! :thu: Actually, I frequently work with musicians who are not what you'd call "world class", but they're nice people who are having fun doing what they're doing, and they're fun to work with... or they're just getting started (but they're still cool) and everyone has to start someplace, right? But other than that, I refuse to work with people whom I don't like or take on projects I don't feel I can add anything of one sort or another to. If I can find no redeeming qualities whatsoever in the people (people first) music or project in general, then I don't take the gig.

[quote]I don't feel I can add anything of one sort or another to. If I can find no redeeming qualities whatsoever in the people (people first) music or project in general, then I don't take the gig. [/quote]Yeah Phil, Thats been my policy for the last few years. I don't do as many projects as I used to but my bullshit detector works alot better now.

For me the MM diaries were worth it just for the laughs. Someone mentioned that the bit about the drummer taping the headphones tight and then burning his ears was pulled from somewhere- But I dont care. It was the first time I had come across it and i laughed out loud for five minutes. It was better than ten years worth of TV situation comedies. And its only ROCK AND ROLL - ( Yeah I know it's also your professional life) But lets not get too philosophical about something that was meant to be pure fun. Bring on the sequel :D

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

[quote]posted by Jotown: [b]Real or imagined I would rather read one of Nika's papers than waste my time on the chronicles of ineptitude.[/b][/quote]Much more educational value, without all the cheesy melodrama. And Nika's papers have those cool charts and graphs to look at. MM makes his sessions sound about as much fun as an all-night dentist. He's a damn good mixer though, I'll hand him that...right up there with Brendan O'Brien. :thu:

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Popstar, could you please tell us more about your credentials? Judging from your above post, you are perhaps a high level recording engineer or producer. Or maybe a musician? Can you tell us some of the big name projects you've worked on? I'm sure there are lots of people on this forum, including myself, who would benefit from listening to your stuff and asking you questions about it. Thanks for the info. :thu:

Hey Dbunny, I see you went platinum over the weekend. You knnow what that means dont' you? You don't own your masters, but you still owne the label about a million bucks. :wave: Congrats.

[quote]Originally posted by dBunny: [b]Popstar, could you please tell us more about your credentials? Judging from your above post, you are perhaps a high level recording engineer or producer. Or maybe a musician? Can you tell us some of the big name projects you've worked on? I'm sure there are lots of people on this forum, including myself, who would benefit from listening to your stuff and asking you questions about it. Thanks for the info. :thu: [/b][/quote]These forums are great for learning. I know I'm always seeking to expand my knowledge, and it's cool to have the pool of talent available on these forums. I love it. I have been in the pro business for a bit now, and given that I've worked with many successful acts (in almost all popular genres of music), I'd be glad to pass along things I've learned. If there's anything in particular that you're seeking help on, let me know, and I'll see if I have anything useful for you! PopStar

[quote]posted by Popstar: [b]I'd be glad to pass along things I've learned. If there's anything in particular that you're seeking help on, let me know, and I'll see if I have anything useful for you! PopStar[/b][/quote]Popstar, Do you know anyone at Dreamworks? I'm producing a CD with a female singer and I need a label to distribute it. Email me if you can help. Thanks!

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Popstar, I'm specifically interested in knowing some of the big name projects you've worked on. That way, I could listen to your stuff and ask you specific questions about the recording or production. Heck, maybe I already have a couple of your records. That turned out to be the case with Mixerman. When I found out who he was, I already owned three of the records he engineered or mixed. If you wish to remain anonymous, that's fine with me. I respect other people's desire for anonymity.

• 1 month later...

Archived