Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moving a piano...

mooghead

Hi guys, in a month or two, in my house, there will be works to arrange a place for my brother to live with his woman...this means my grand has to move a beat, not too much, it won't change floor, it won't pass trough windows...it will just be dissassembled from the legs moved 15-20 metres and then put up again.

My piano technician said it would be better to move it, leave it there, and the after a few days tune it. My question is: would be a problem to tune it right after it's moved, (it's only a few steps), the fact is that waiting a few days I'll have to pay the technician much more (he'll have to come twice...)

Should I listen to him? Or is it not necessary?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Mooghead: I've been in the piano business for a long time and moved and tuned a lot of pianos. It's not the actual moving of a piano that will throw it out of tune but a change in humidity levels that will make the soundboard move and cause the strings to go flat or sharp. I doubt if in moving 20 metres the humidity level is much different but I couldn't say for sure without looking at it. Is either location near a window? This could effect the moisture in the air. I would say go ahead and tune it and if the piano tech/tuner gives you any trouble just slap the hell out of him. I would be willing to move and tune the piano for free in exchange for round trip tickets to your location.

My grand has been moved twice. The first time it got out of tune like hell, but that was because of the new strings. The second time it didn't skip a beat. Just wait two or three weeks and see what's happening. Tuning right after moving doesn't make sense because the instrument has to adjust to the new environment. I guess in your case it won't be that much.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Thank you for considerations.

Yes it's just a few metres, it will be near a window, but with no direct sun on it...as it is now (another window, no direct sun)

If you came here I'd pay...for piano tuning and moving, well the trip is a bit too much...

Archived